MLS Export Formats...

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Mr. M-p40

MLS Export Formats...

Post by Mr. M-p40 »

I was wondering if the MLS export formats had changed recently?
Mr. M
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit me virtually anytime. ;)

http://www.mariohipol.com
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

They have since MLS 2.8.3 I believe. The export is now a vcard format. I think that is the only current option, but should also have the csv export ability as well some time in the future.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Hummm... I don't see a vcard option for Export. I only get the standard .CSV file (using MLS 2.8.3_13810). Whether the actual structure of the file has changed from before, I can't say. I don't use it much myself.

I like to use an often overlooked method of pulling up an Abbreviated Ward List, then click Edit-->Copy to file and save it. The only gotcha is it saves it with the extension of .CSV, but it's NOT in Comma Seperated Value format, it's TAB delimited. IMO, they should not use the .CSV unless it fits the format. Anyway, I find this file much easier to use when creating my awesome looking Ward lists, rather than parsing the entire Membership dump.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

AFAIK, there are six export files available at the ward level, all in .csv format. I know of no documentation, except for that in this unofficial list at LDSclerks.org.

Two of the files -- PalmFamily.csv and PalmIndividual.csv -- have no column headers, and the first of these has an annoyingly complex structure with some troublesome embedded Line Feeds. The other files are conventional, flat .csv files with column headers, which are sort of self-explanatory.

I don't think anything has changed recently, but I have only been using these files for the past three months after a long hiatus. I hazily remember similar export files being available in the old MIS system, where at least their layout was documented.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

My mistake, it will be out in the next release (MLS 2.9).
Mr. M-p40

Post by Mr. M-p40 »

DJC wrote:My mistake, it will be out in the next release (MLS 2.9).
Will this mean they are replacing the CSV formats?
Mr. M
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit me virtually anytime. ;)

http://www.mariohipol.com
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Mr. M wrote:Will this mean they are replacing the CSV formats?
Not according to DJC's earlier statement...
DJC wrote:They have since MLS 2.8.3 I believe. The export is now a vcard format. I think that is the only current option, but should also have the csv export ability as well some time in the future.
Apparently they hope to restore CSV in the future. I'm only guessing, but in light of others mentioning on other threads that sometimes it wasn't a true CSV export, perhaps they are planning to clean it up and have it be a true CSV file format.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

mkmurray wrote:Not according to DJC's earlier statement...

Apparently they hope to restore CSV in the future. I'm only guessing, but in light of others mentioning on other threads that sometimes it wasn't a true CSV export, perhaps they are planning to clean it up and have it be a true CSV file format.

The current export files are in true CSV fomat (although the two Palm-formatted files stretch the defiinition with embedded Line Feeds). I think DJC is talking about a future release of a VCard format.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

boomerbubba wrote:The current export files are in true CSV fomat (although the two Palm-formatted files stretch the defiinition with embedded Line Feeds). I think DJC is talking about a future release of a VCard format.
Yes, vCard export will be out in the 2.9 release of MLS (according to DJC). He also mentioned that CSV would possibly resurface in some future release of MLS after 2.9. I was trying to guess if there were going to be changes to those CSV exports. Perhaps my guess at "true CSV format" was misguided; maybe there will be more fields included in the future CSV exports?

Maybe I should just quit guessing? :rolleyes:
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

mkmurray wrote: Maybe I should just quit guessing? :rolleyes:

DJC can speak for himself, but I think he meant to say that his original post was mistaken.

I can confirm empirically that all six .csv export files exist in MLS today. I export five of them every week.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”