Location automatically selecting calendar event is added to

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
n.oliver

Location automatically selecting calendar event is added to

Post by n.oliver »

Howdy! I was looking at the calendar today and noticed that some ward-specific events were showing up in the Stake calendar. When I asked the contact (the stake building scheduler) they told me that an event scheduled for the stake building "appears on the Stake calendar automatically because the Stake plus 3 wards use the Stake Center".

I asked them to confirm that they intentionally added this event to the Stake calendar but didn't receive a response in that regard. I can confirm that the event is scheduled for the stake center, and it is not the only event fitting this category.

My question: is this the designed behavior (I'm guessing a bug)? Or is it more likely that this building coordinator is adding all the stake building events to the Stake calendar?
(I can provide the URL to the event, if that helps) (I didn't see anything similar in search results, but if I missed something please let me know [give me a link :)])
Cheers!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Location automatically selecting calendar event is added to

Post by russellhltn »

I think the underlying issue is the old model of one person doing all the scheduling for a building is no longer supported.

The Building Scheduler most likely doesn't have rights to add the event to the ward calendar. Nor can they be granted those rights. This leaves a very limited number of options. I believe the calendar was designed with the idea that each unit does their own scheduling. The Building Scheduler only referees the process and handle cases like families that want to use the facility.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Have you verified that the event is actually on a stake calendar? One possible point of confusion is related to the option to check the box for a location (in this case, your stake center). When that box is checked, you'll see all events that are scheduled for the stake center, regardless of which ward scheduled them. That would be the expected behavior and not a problem. It's possible that this is all they mean when they say "an event scheduled for the stake building appears on the Stake calendar automatically because the Stake plus 3 wards use the Stake Center."

If, on the other hand, the ward events are being added to a stake calendar in addition to being on a ward calendar, then that is certainly not happening automatically. That could only happen if someone is explicitly adding the events. You should be able to look at the event details to see who last added or updated the event. Also, if this is happening, then members of the ward which created the event would see double entries (assuming that they the stake calendar in question is visible to them).
n.oliver

Post by n.oliver »

Thanks for the replies, good info!

FWIW in this scenario the details of the event show the "Calendar" field value as "Stake Calendar" and "Location" as "<Road> Stake Center". The event shows up when I select the Stake Center building or the Stake Calendar and disappears when neither are selected. From this I gather that our stake is still using the old scheduling model described above. Not a bug! :D

(Now I need to figure out who to talk to to see if we can change this [the coordinator asked me not to contact them further :oops:]. I think the larger issue is that no one in the stake is utilizing the tool very well. [Not an isolated case, I'm sure])

Thanks again!!

Return to “Calendar”