Automated Home Teaching Assignments?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
swilso01

Automated Home Teaching Assignments?

Post by swilso01 »

Hello,

I am the Ward Clerk in a ward here in San Diego, and I am not able to figure out how home teaching assignments are being made for some of the families in our ward. The EQ President as well as the HP group leader have not been doing it, yet it seems that families are being assigned by default to the HP Quorum in some fashion.

Anyone having similar experiences or know how I can fix this?

Thanks.

Brother Wilson
Tierrasanta Ward
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Automated Home Teaching Assignments?

Post by russellhltn »

Households who are not assigned home teachers will appear on the unassigned list for a quorum based on the priesthood of the head of household. Elders go to elders quorum, everyone else goes to HP.

The online system started with whatever assignments were in MLS at the time of transition.

The "fix" is to assign families to home teachers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
swilso01

Post by swilso01 »

But if they are assigned to the "unassigned families" for the High Priests, we are not able to assign them families in the EQ if they belong in the EQ? I guess my point is that some of the default assignments that are being made are not correct. So, I do not see a way to "fix" it. They just stay on the HP unassigned list.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

swilso01 wrote:But if they are assigned to the "unassigned families" for the High Priests, we are not able to assign them families in the EQ if they belong in the EQ?
You can. You just don't see them as unassigned on your list. I don't remember the details about how you do it. Perhaps it's from the companionship screen.

swilso01 wrote:I guess my point is that some of the default assignments that are being made are not correct. So, I do not see a way to "fix" it.
There is no way to "fix" the unassigned list.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:
swilso01 wrote:But if they are assigned to the "unassigned families" for the High Priests, we are not able to assign them families in the EQ if they belong in the EQ?
You can. You just don't see them as unassigned on your list. I don't remember the details about how you do it. Perhaps it's from the companionship screen..
The household is assigned by typing in the household name rather than relying on the drop-down list of unassigned names.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

So is the conclusion that a name can not be moved between the two (EL, HP) unassigned lists? Right now mine (HP) is listing an unassigned 18yo Elder. Should really be in the Elder's unassigned list. I'd like to move it there. Surely this is a forthcoming feature, or why have two lists? There should be a way to make/change these assignments, or collapse it down to just one unassigned list for both quorums.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:So is the conclusion that a name can not be moved between the two (EL, HP) unassigned lists? Right now mine (HP) is listing an unassigned 18yo Elder. Should really be in the Elder's unassigned list. I'd like to move it there.
Are you sure he's an elder? If his MP ordination is not properly recorded on his membership record, then he would be considered to be a prospective elder and by policy would be assigned to the HP by default. His priesthood office is the first thing I would check. If he's really an elder in the system and he is a head of household, then this sounds like a bug.
ckmcdonald wrote:Surely this is a forthcoming feature, or why have two lists? There should be a way to make/change these assignments, or collapse it down to just one unassigned list for both quorums.
You're welcome to suggest that feature using the Feedback link on LCR. The priorities are set by the Priesthood Department, not by user requests, but it doesn't hurt to make a suggestion.

In any case, the real goal should be having all households assigned, so the unassigned list should be a very short, very temporary list. So this shouldn't be a very big deal.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ckmcdonald wrote:So is the conclusion that a name can not be moved between the two (EL, HP) unassigned lists?
At this time, this is correct. No word of if or when that might be fixed. Given the problem that creates for singles/student wards, I'd imagine some kind of fix would be coming. But it may not be the one you're hoping for.

ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

We just went through a ward boundary change and 75% of the ward is new - that is what is making our unassigned lists so large and the center of attention at the moment. It's understandable that members are assigned to these two lists based on age, priesthood, etc. But, I notice that the apparent assignment rules place the member in the opposite group we need them in about 25% of the time. So I have to keep remembering to go look at the Elder's unassigned list and hope the Elders are looking the HP unassigned list. When I first notice this I went in to move the 10-12 members in the HP unassigned list to the Elders unassigned list where we need them to be - and discovered I couldn't. Worst case we have people falling in cracks. Seems like a single unassigned list would be better for not missing people rather than two lists that can't be manually altered.

If prospective Elders really are automatically assigned to the HP's...why? Is that a requirement? Every ward I've been in the bulk of the prospective Elders fit in much better and were home taught by the Elders. Seems like by default they should be assigned to the Elders, not HP's. Many of the members I'd like moved to the Elders unassigned list are young prospective Elders.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ckmcdonald wrote:If prospective Elders really are automatically assigned to the HP's...why? Is that a requirement?
The First Presidency has made this the default assignment. Working with the bishop in priesthood executive committee, some of these families will be reassigned to the elders quorum.

As you have noticed, you cannot move a household from one unassigned list to another, but either quorum can assign home teachers to the family, which will remove them from the unassigned list.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”