Wireless/AirPrint printing from iOS and android devices

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
puhiava

Wireless/AirPrint printing from iOS and android devices

Post by puhiava »

I haven't seen a topic covered in this forum on wireless printing, but with the recent announcement to eliminate Book 3 of the temple recommends and to print it from Leader and Clerk resources leaves us with a few questions.

Every recommend now needs to be printed from the clerks office and that isn't always convienent. We purchased an HP inkjet printer that has wireless capability so during the interview we can print the recommend in a confidential office from an iPad or Android device. The printer works when connected directly to it but when we try to access it over the church wifi system (ldsacess) the printer doesn't appear and we aren't allowed to print. We have tried speaking with our technology experts in our stake and they don't have an answer. I believe that the wireless function is not allowed on the church wifi routers but wanted to ask here to understand better.

Is wireless printing allowed on church wifi networks?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Wireless/AirPrint printing from iOS and android devices

Post by russellhltn »

As long as they are on the same IP segment, and both connected wirelessly, I can't see how it would be blocked. Communication within the same segment doesn't go through the router. Just the WAP.

How does the printing work? If it has to go out to the Internet, to an external service, then yes, it could be blocked.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
puhiava

Post by puhiava »

russellhltn wrote:As long as they are on the same IP segment, and both connected wirelessly, I can't see how it would be blocked. Communication within the same segment doesn't go through the router. Just the WAP.

How does the printing work? If it has to go out to the Internet, to an external service, then yes, it could be blocked.
No, the printer is a consumer level HP inkjet printer that has wireless capabilities. The printer establishes a link directly to LDSaccess wifi router and shows a IP address on our system but when printing from an iOS or android device the printer doesn't appear as expected. Which IP segment address should it show?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

puhiava wrote:Which IP segment address should it show?
The question is if it's on the same segment as your devices. Assuming you're running the currently supported, church supplied system, both should be in the range of 192.168.108.2 to 192.168.111.254. Outside of that, all bets are off.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
puhiava

Post by puhiava »

The IP address of the printer shows 192.168.111.118 which is in the parameters that you indicate but we are still getting nothing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What is the IP your devices you're trying to print from?

puhiava

Post by puhiava »

All of our wireless devices connect to LDS access automatically so shouldn't they be given a legitimate IP address? All of the wireless devices in our bishopric are having problems connecting to this printer.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Then the question left is how printing works. If it's direct from device to device, it should work. However, if it goes to the internet, then it could be getting filtered. I'm not sure how printing service for Android works.

Since you're not using a church-provided printer and this is a network question, I've moved the topic to a better section.

puhiava

Post by puhiava »

From my home network, where I have a similar printer, everyone who is on our network can see and print directly to the wireless printer. We use iOS devices here and still having trouble.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Digging further, it's possible that the network doesn't support peer to peer applications. If that's the case, you're stuck. The network is not configurable.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”