Members Missing from LDS Tools

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
shonfisher

Members Missing from LDS Tools

Post by shonfisher »

There are members not showing up in LDS tools for multiple users. The records members are in MLS and available on Leader and Clerk Resources. Users have synced their LDS tools app and are using the currents version.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Members Missing from LDS Tools

Post by russellhltn »

Odds are the "missing" members have their privacy settings in the Directory set such that they only appear to leaders, or members of their own ward. A clerk can change that, but it should not be done without the permission of the members involved. This is far worse in countries with strict privacy laws, such as the UK. Over there, the members have to "opt-in" to appear, unlike the US where they have to "opt-out" to disappear.

Out-of-unit leaders can be another source of issues - they appears in their callings, but may not appear in the ward directory as technically they are not a member of that ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
georgannk

Post by georgannk »

I am the Relief Society President in the Front Range Ward, Golden Colorado Stake, Golden Colorado.. I have noticed two names so far that do not appear on my LDS tools app.
The Bishop and Ward executive secretary do have these names on their app. Does this mean these people have given permission for only those people to have access to their information?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

georgannk wrote:I am the Relief Society President in the Front Range Ward, Golden Colorado Stake, Golden Colorado.. I have noticed two names so far that do not appear on my LDS tools app.
The Bishop and Ward executive secretary do have these names on their app. Does this mean these people have given permission for only those people to have access to their information?
It means that their privacy setting is set so that only ward leaders can see them in the directory (and LDS Tools). For this purpose ward leaders is defined as the bishopric, executive secretary and clerks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:For this purpose ward leaders is defined as the bishopric, executive secretary and clerks.
That definition was set some time ago. With expanded access to LCR, I wouldn't be surprised if "ward leader" is redefined at some point, since I believe they are visible to the same people in LCR. Maybe when the LDS Tools API is revised at some point.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
eblood66 wrote:For this purpose ward leaders is defined as the bishopric, executive secretary and clerks.
That definition was set some time ago. With expanded access to LCR, I wouldn't be surprised if "ward leader" is redefined at some point, since I believe they are visible to the same people in LCR. Maybe when the LDS Tools API is revised at some point.
Quite possibly but I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened yet.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

eblood66 wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
Quite possibly but I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened yet.
I can confirm that the privacy setting has not been revised. "Private - leadership only" is still limited to the pre-LCR group of leaders.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:With expanded access to LCR, I wouldn't be surprised if "ward leader" is redefined at some point, since I believe they are visible to the same people in LCR.
Just to be clear, I was speculating on a future change. Sorry, I should have said "will be" instead of "is"

bretpetersen1

Post by bretpetersen1 »

russellhltn wrote:Odds are the "missing" members have their privacy settings in the Directory set such that they only appear to leaders, or members of their own ward. A clerk can change that, but it should not be done without the permission of the members involved. This is far worse in countries with strict privacy laws, such as the UK. Over there, the members have to "opt-in" to appear, unlike the US where they have to "opt-out" to disappear.

Out-of-unit leaders can be another source of issues - they appears in their callings, but may not appear in the ward directory as technically they are not a member of that ward.
Is this still true? When a member "opts out" does the record become completely invisible, or is it just the contact information that is no longer visible? There seems to be a discrepancy in the description. The first section of the FAQ below seems to suggest that the record is no longer visible. But the next section says it is just the contact info and photos that are not visible. Which is it????

Privacy and Visibility
Why can’t other members in my ward or stake see me in the directory?
Verify your privacy settings by selecting yourself from the directory. Then select Edit and verify and update your visibility settings as desired.

Why are members of my ward or branch not listed in the directory?
Members can choose to allow some or all of their individual or household photos and contact information to display.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

bretpetersen1 wrote:When a member "opts out" does the record become completely invisible, or is it just the contact information that is no longer visible?
That depends on which settings are used. If the entire household is set to Leadership Only then even the name will not be visible. But if the household visibility is set to Ward or Stake then individual contact items (address, phone and/or email) can each be set to a different visibility level.

Return to “Member Tools”