Family history

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
clarkdrogers

Family history

Post by clarkdrogers »

As Sunday school president, how do I add the Family History class lessons taught during Sunday school?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Family history

Post by aebrown »

clarkdrogers wrote:As Sunday school president, how do I add the Family History class lessons taught during Sunday school?
The FH course is not one of the options for specifying the annual curriculum. But you can still create the class (using the Administration area of Lesson Schedules). Then for each lesson, you select a custom topic, type in the topic, and then in the Lesson URL field you can link to a particular lesson on LDS.org (or FamilySearch.org for additional topics). And if you need multiple URLs for a particular lesson, there are even multi-URL shorteners that you can use to provide multiple links in one shortened URL.
MadWullie

Post by MadWullie »

We are interested in starting the temple and family history classes again in our ward using the seven lessons in the members guide to temple and family history. However, our stake family history director has told us that the church no longer uses these lessons for members which I found odd as we have taught these in the past and found them to be an excellent resource. Please can you confirm if the church has stopped the use of this manual and classes, and if so, what has replaced this?
Many thanks,
Ken Weir
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you look under Manuals, you'll find there is nothing for Family History. So at this point there seems to be no official curriculum for doing FH during Sunday School.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

MadWullie wrote:We are interested in starting the temple and family history classes again in our ward using the seven lessons in the members guide to temple and family history. However, our stake family history director has told us that the church no longer uses these lessons for members which I found odd as we have taught these in the past and found them to be an excellent resource.
Things are changing so quickly in this area that it is difficult to keep a set of lessons current with the state of temple and family history work. If it were me, I would consider the best information from those lessons add to them the latest information from things such as the RootsTech conference that just concluded, and other Church publications, including the newest ones that have just been announced (although they are very new and not yet easily obtained).

It seems to me that, rather than a specific class, the emphasis now is working one on one with members to help them find names and take them to the temple. That is a little bit tricky to do during a short Sunday School class.
MadWullie

Post by MadWullie »

Hi all,
Many thanks for your help, greatly appreciated!! :)

Return to “Lesson Schedules”