Online Tech Talk Coming Soon

The latest forum news and information
McDanielCA

Online Tech Talk Coming Soon

Post by McDanielCA »

You are invited to participate in the first-ever streamed broadcast and interactive tech talk hosted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on August 28th at 7:00 p.m. mountain daylight time (MDT).

Previously, tech talks were held regionally in various locations across the United States to communicate Church technology projects and needs. We are ready to expand those tech talks to reach a global audience simultaneously.

In addition to providing real-time interaction, this event will be archived at LDS Tech for additional viewings. We hope that this becomes the first of many global tech talks.

As this concept is still a work in progress, you have the opportunity to help the Church mold the best possible experience. We are open to everything from branding and marketing concepts (including names and logos), to format and frequency options, to future discussion topics and ideas.

At the first global tech talk, to be held on August 28th at 7:00 p.m. mountain daylight time (MDT), Joel Dehlin, Chief Information Officer for the Church, will speak in more detail about the purpose of tech talks and his vision for them. He will also answer in real time your questions on technology at the Church.

More information about registering for this event will be posted here.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

telfordca wrote:You are invited to participate in the first-ever streamed broadcast and interactive tech talk hosted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on August 28th at 7:00 p.m. mountain standard time.
I am looking forward to this, and I think the new format will allow many more people to participate.

One clarification: I would really doubt that it is at the time specified, but rather is at 7pm Mountain Daylight Time. Since Arizona is actually on Mountain Standard Time (their 7pm is one hour later), the way it is stated could easily be confusing.
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

Thanks for pointing that out!
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Do you have details on what the streaming experience will be like? What format or technology will it be broadcast through? I'm not at all familiar with the different choices, especially those that would allow interactive question submitting.

I have participated in Microsoft Webcasts before and used Office Live Meeting 2007 (which did have this question submitting functionality). It was a really nice experience and the client application for us as the community is completely free. I don't think it's free to the Church though, those who are doing the presenting. This is the only product I'm familiar with.

This is why I'm interested in what has been (or is being) chosen, especially if there are some free options out there.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Also, don't forget to put it on the Community Calendar here on the Forums!
garysturn

Possible methods of presenting meeting

Post by garysturn »

Is it possible to view the presentation by a streaming broadcast and receive questions using these forums? Other systems I have used required phone connections for asking questions, and some systems require microphones set up on computers which many people do not have. Using the forums to type questions seems like a good use of resources.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
KathrynGZ

Possible Methods of Presenting Meeting

Post by KathrynGZ »

I'm psyched for another tech talk! I'm marking it on my calendar. The one in the San Jose Bay Area was phenomenal.

Another option to consider for presenting the meeting might be Adobe Acrobat Connect Professional. A while back I attended a webcast using this technology and I was impressed. Users can submit questions real-time via a chat window.

I just found the old email invitation and it lists the requirements: "You'll need a computer that supports audio, a web browser, the Adobe Flash player and an Internet connection. Please review the full Acrobat Connect technical requirements at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatco ... ystemreqs/"

I look forward to more information on the tech talk!

Kathryn
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

People from international "non English" areas are invited to???
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

MorettiDP wrote:People from international "non English" areas are invited to???
I'm not an employee of the Church, but I think the answer is definitely "Yes!"

It will be a streamed presentation that anyone with Internet access can watch and participate in. I think the whole Tech Talk will be held in English with no official translation, but please, still feel free to participate!
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

mkmurray wrote:I'm not an employee of the Church, but I think the answer is definitely "Yes!"

It will be a streamed presentation that anyone with Internet access can watch and participate in. I think the whole Tech Talk will be held in English with no official translation, but please, still feel free to participate!
This is correct. Anyone can participate.

Tom

Return to “Announcements & Policies”