Duplicate (one incorrect) Family Child record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jgoggan

Duplicate (one incorrect) Family Child record

Post by jgoggan »

We have the following situation: A married couple in our unit have 2 children (let's say "Jane Doe" and "John Doe") listed as children in the Family section. These "children" are actually 26-27 years old and were not members of our unit. They were listed as a non-members -- it simply showed their name and birthdate (let's say 1-Jan-1990 and 1-Jan-1991) under the "Family/Children" section of her parents' records. They are both actually members in another unit.

Recently, they both moved back home with her parents. their records were transferred here. Turns out that the birthdate was wrong for Jane Doe.

For John Doe, where the birthdates matched, it automatically seems to have merged/replaced the old record with this new one.

But for Jane Doe, where the birthdates did not match, it created a new entry. So, now, for "Family/Children", we have the following:

John Doe - Son - 1-Jan-1991 [this is a linked/local/proper record]
Jane Doe - Daughter - 1-Jan-1989 [this is a linked/local/proper record]
Jane Doe - Daughter - 1-Jan-1990 [this is the incorrect record]

Put simply, I can't find any way to get rid of that incorrect Jane Doe record. I've checked Temporary Records and it is not there. I've gone to the option to Cancel a record and it does NOT show it! If I type in "Doe" for the Cancel Records option, it shows only the two correct/valid records. It does not show the incorrect record.

I must be missing something here? It seems that, even without this issue where the "real" child transferred into our unit, there would be no way to remove that record myself no matter what I did.

Please let me know what I may be overlooking? Or do I need to submit a Special Request to do this?

Thanks!
eblood66

Re: Duplicate (one incorrect) Family Child record

Post by eblood66 »

When you view the parents' records in MLS there is a Children's tab. On that tab you should see all entries for the children. There should be a Remove link to the right of each entry. Use that link by the incorrect entry.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In this case, I'd suggest using special request on the parents records.

The last person who tried the remove link ended up with a another problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:In this case, I'd suggest using special request on the parents records.

The last person who tried the remove link ended up with a another problem.
That was for someone who was recorded as a member. In this case the entry to be removed is recorded (incorrectly) as a non-member. As far as I can tell it works just fine in the test installation for non-member entries.
jgoggan

Post by jgoggan »

eblood66 wrote:When you view the parents' records in MLS there is a Children's tab. On that tab you should see all entries for the children. There should be a Remove link to the right of each entry. Use that link by the incorrect entry.
That worked great -- thank you!

- John...
markkennethnoall

Post by markkennethnoall »

A young couple in our ward had their second baby born on 4 Sep 2015. For some unknown reason the child's name was entered twice with two different birth dates. The records now show the couple has two infant children with the same name born 24 days apart. Each has a different MRN. How do I delete the incorrect record?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You can find the instructions here: Remove or Cancel a Duplicate Membership Record
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”