How do I add an adopted child?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
markkennethnoall

How do I add an adopted child?

Post by markkennethnoall »

A couple in our ward recently adopted a 2 yr old boy from another country. Where do I find the instructions on how to add this child to their family?
eblood66

Re: How do I add an adopted child?

Post by eblood66 »

First you should print a Child Blessing Record using Membership > Ordinances > Forms from the MLS menu and have the parents fill it out. This is the form normally used before a baby blessing. In this case there probably isn't a blessing but you still use the form to gather the information needed to create the child's record and for them to give permission to create the record.

Once the form is filled out and signed then in MLS select Membership > Records > New Child of Record from the menu and enter the information for the child. Save that form and then do a send/receive.

Note that before doing this you should make sure the requirements listed in Handbook 1 section 13.6.12 are met.
merrilljencks

Post by merrilljencks »

Can this not be done in Leader and Clerk resources on LDS.org?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

merrilljencks wrote:Can this not be done in Leader and Clerk resources on LDS.org?
No. Creating new membership records still has to be done in MLS. It will probably be available in LCR in the next major release (it's already on the Access Table but it says it's not yet available).

Return to “Membership Help”