Recommended Composite to HDMI scaler

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
allencp

Recommended Composite to HDMI scaler

Post by allencp »

I have read many of you not recommending the Monoprice Composite to HDMI scaler. I have also seen many of you recommend other products that could be used. However, several of these have been distributed through other posts. I'm hoping to find a good consensus on recommended scalers to be used with the VidiU product. The following are several recommendations that I have already found:
  • - Blackmagic products, going from composite to SDI and then SDI to HDMI
    - StarTech VID2HDCON Composite & S-Video to HDMI Converter http://goo.gl/BSpcCJ
    - One Task 1T-VS-622 Video to HDMI Scaler http://goo.gl/a7USYF
Do these stand as some of the recommended scalers from the forum? Are there others? Do some of you still recommend the Monoprice?
robbie@dalley.org

Re: Recommended Composite to HDMI scaler

Post by robbie@dalley.org »

Mono price is cheap, but not reliable. The Startech product is good, the BMD is great. Having worked in commercial AV for the past 10 years, cheap rarely wins....
autryld

Post by autryld »

In November 2015, our test webcast with the Monoprice model went well. For our actual webcast the Monoprice was an immediate failure. The video was blinking steadily. We still have our MWC so I switched to that and all was well again. I passed this information along to our FM group. I also suggested that the Monoprice mode be removed as a recommended model.

The only reason we purchased the Monoprice was because the preferred model was out of stock.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Mono price is cheap, but not reliable. The Startech product is good, the BMD is great. Having worked in commercial AV for the past 10 years, cheap rarely wins....
I second that. I've had great success with Blackmagic Design mini-converters.
autryld

Post by autryld »

Our FM group manager just ordered us the Atlona model. I hope that one works well.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

We have had great success with the FM provided Atlona athd-120
Roland
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

We used the Startech for the last conference and it worked great (much better than their VGA to HDMI one we tested did).

Aaron Z
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

Both the Atlona, and the Startech models mentioned above are supported models, thought the Atlona is the recommended model. It has proven in testing to produce a better picture, and be more reliable. It is however more costly, hence the inclusion of the Startech model.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”