Processing donations clarification

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jlewis93454

Processing donations clarification

Post by jlewis93454 »

I just watched the training video for weekly donations and needed some clarification.
When preparing the donation we usually have the bishopric member open the envelopes and verify the donation then pass the the slip to me and I enter the information in the computer. We are both in the office and no one is ever left alone with the donations. The video seems to indicate that this process is wrong.
It says that one person opening and verifying while the other person does something else is unacceptable. I'm not sure if that means doing something else outside the office or if we both need to look, at and verify, each donation.
Any help would be appreciated.
eblood66

Re: Processing donations clarification

Post by eblood66 »

You should each look at and verify each donation and then one person (usually the clerk) should record the donations while the other watches and verifies the correct information is entered. We always open and verify the donations together and stack the donation slips and checks. We sort the cash by denomination and place it to the side. Once we're done opening envelopes we count the combined cash and write that down. Then I enter the donations in MLS while the counselor watches and stamps the checks as I complete each one.

You could conceivable open each donations (together) and then record it before moving to the next one but it seems to be more efficient to open everything and then record everything.
guycolbyiv

Re: Processing donations clarification

Post by guycolbyiv »

The audit criterion is as follows:
"Both people should watch as each envelope is opened, and they should count the money together. They should also should also record and transmit the amounts in MLS together." (See audit checklist item #5)
I am a stake financial clerk, and when I train unit clerks, I tell them that the cardinal rule is "two pairs of eyes on each step in the process." Following this principle will greatly decrease the number of audit exceptions against audit checklist item #23 (which is, unfortunately, one of the two or three most frequently recorded exceptions).

Return to “Local Unit Finance”