Snow Days

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
jbrammer

Snow Days

Post by jbrammer »

What happens after all the events and classes have been added, but bad weather causes church to be cancelled, which is not uncommon at least once per year where I live? Logically, I would create an event called "Snow Day", insert it into the lesson schedule, and then the lessons should all shift. The way the current system is designed seems that any unscheduled event added after the classes are established won't shift the lessons. Maybe this is more of a one off situation that each ward/stake decides how they will handle disruptions, but it would be great if the option existed in the system to either replace or shift lessons scheduled when an event is created, regardless if the event is created before or after when the class is added.
eblood66

Re: Snow Days

Post by eblood66 »

After you insert the snow day, just go into the administrative section to the class or classes that are now missing a lesson (because the event has replaced it). There will be a link at the top of the administrative page for the class which says 'Insert missing lessons'. Click that and it will insert the missing lesson and shift everything down one Sunday.

The shift doesn't happen automatically because not every ward will choose to handle this kind of situation the same but it shouldn't be hard to make the adjustments if needed.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I find there's very little room for doing things like shifting lessons. I would recommend you just carry on with what was planned for the following week. You have have teachers who are planning on giving lessons on specific weeks, etc. and changing everything around could be a mess. Some lessons don't shift, such as priesthood and relief society, where the handbook specifies what's supposed to happen on specific weeks. Of course, it's up to the ward, but consider just carrying on the following week with what as already planned. You might find it easier in the long run.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In many cases, it's a choice between skipping a lesson now or skipping a lesson at the end of the year. I have yet to see anyone say they have more Sundays than lessons.

The alternative is to combine lessons, but that would have to be done manually, no matter what happens.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”