iPhone and iPod Touch Application Copyright Issues

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
plethera21

iPhone and iPod Touch Application Copyright Issues

Post by plethera21 »

I'm currently making an iPhone and iPod Touch application and would like to include church scriptures, hymns, magazines, footnotes, and more. From what I've gathered, I can't legally sell or distribute the material due to copyright issues. Is there a way of working with the church to use these material?. Can I make my application free so I'm not "selling" copyrighted work?

Any idea if the church will put out an iTunes application?

Thanks in advance everyone!
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dcollier23 wrote:I'm currently making an iPhone and iPod Touch application and would like to include church scriptures, hymns, magazines, footnotes, and more. From what I've gathered, I can't legally sell or distribute the material due to copyright issues. Is there a way of working with the church to use these material?. Can I make my application free so I'm not "selling" copyrighted work?

Here is a post that has some contact information for Church Headquarters about copyright questions:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... #post11095
plethera21

Post by plethera21 »

mkmurray wrote:Here is a post that has some contact information for Church Headquarters about copyright questions:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... #post11095
Thanks I'll try contacting them about it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One way I've seen come companies deal with is they sell utilities to download the information from the Church website and convert it for use on the target device. That way they are not selling copies of the copyrighted information, but rather the buyer is doing it for their own personal use.

I'm thinking specifically about MMSWeb as an example of this.

Standard disclaimer - the product mentioned is just an example and not a church endorsement of any kind.
bigal-p40

I hope you are able to get this program approved.

Post by bigal-p40 »

dcollier23 wrote:I'm currently making an iPhone and iPod Touch application and would like to include church scriptures, hymns, magazines, footnotes, and more. From what I've gathered, I can't legally sell or distribute the material due to copyright issues. Is there a way of working with the church to use these material?. Can I make my application free so I'm not "selling" copyrighted work?

I've had my Ipod Toch for about a week now and like it a lot. I was a Plam user for years and loved the ability to carry MLS informtion around with me and now I don't have that ability. I hate to have to take my ipod touch back and get a Palm OS device just to do this.
Anyway, I will be watching to see if you are able to make any progress (crossing fingers) LOL.
All the best,
Bigal

Return to “General Discussions”