Temple Ordinances for New Members

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
benfrankyc

Temple Ordinances for New Members

Post by benfrankyc »

We have a number of new members in our ward (20 recent converts in 2015, 22 in 2014, etc.), and we work diligently with them to prepare family names to take to the temple to do baptisms for the dead shortly after they are baptized.

The issue we face is that it takes time for a membership record number (MRN) to be created for our new members. Until they are issued an MRN, they must create a FamilySearch account without linking it to their LDS Account and are unable to request the temple ordinances for their family members.

Is there a way for newly baptized members to request temple ordinances? I believe we could have another member reserve the names, but that approach becomes a bit cumbersome to verify that permission has been granted by the new member (i.e., the immediate family member). Because we live 2+ hours from the nearest temple, sometimes our scheduled temple trips occur shortly after someone's baptism, and it becomes a bit of a time crunch to try to get the approval in time.

Any thoughts? Do we just need to wait longer for new members to go to the temple to be baptized for family members? We're open to ideas.

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Temple Ordinances for New Members

Post by russellhltn »

How long is it taking? I wouldn't expect it to be more than a couple of weeks at best. If it's longer than that, I think you need to talk to the mission president about having the missionaries submit their paperwork sooner.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History”