Webcast: Lessons Learned, Audio and Video to RS Room

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
jthork

Webcast: Lessons Learned, Audio and Video to RS Room

Post by jthork »

(I'm a very new STS.) We had a successful stake conference webcast today, but we uncovered some add'l questions in the process. I hope by our sharing what we did, we might help someone along the way and get some feedback for improving things next go-round.

For our setup, we went HDMI right from the camera to the VidiU device and used a newly-installed Ethernet jack in the overflow so the VidiU stream was sent wired to the Internet. We used a Comtek portable receiver http://comtek.com/pr-75a/ (normally used for audio amplification) to receive the audio signal with used a simple 3.5mm audio cable to input to the VidiU. We had successful tests last week and then again during our evening session on Sat night, so we had some level of confidence going into Sunday's webcast.

We ran into the following issues:

Audio. Right before the conference we were getting some interference and very loud static apparently coming from the Comtek receiver. By moving the Comtek around, we were able to find a good spot to receive a better signal, which worked for the entire conference. Still, we see this approach as a weak link.

We would like to have some kind of audio output jack added in our overflow area so we can bring quality and reliable audio directly into the VidiU device. Has anyone had something like this done? Or have you found some other way for getting audio to the VidiU without running audio cable 100 feet through the building?

Video into the Relief Society and Primary rooms. I'm told we used to output an analog signal from the camera into a composite jack in the overflow area that allowed the video signal to a) be sent to the webcasting device (near the pulpit) and b) broadcast directly to key rooms in the building (RS, Primary, etc.).

Since our camera cannot output both an HDMI and analog signal at the same time and we were using the HDMI into the VidiU, there was no analog signal sent to the RS and Primary rooms. Consequently, they did not receive video of the broadcast, but they still had audio. Any suggestions on how to get video into these rooms? Maybe a device to receive the HDMI from the camera, then split it into a) HDMI for input to VidiU and b) analog into composite jack?

We're interested in any feedback or questions.

Thank you!
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Webcast: Lessons Learned, Audio and Video to RS Room

Post by rannthal »

The best thing we've found is to invest a a mixer that has two different outputs, one for HDMI to go to the VidiU and the other to go to the the composite jack to the satellite rack and there to the other rooms.
As for the audio, we have an output jack in our overflow area. We use that for our spanish speaking members and for conference, it works really well to plug into our mixer.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

With regards to audio, we have had our sound tech give us a wired connection right off the chapel amplifier. When we have our sound system at our stake center replaced later this year, we are going to make sure that we have our audio taken right off the chapel amplifier. This way we don't have to worry about any other device to pick up the audio.

I agree with Rannthal on the video output. Send everything into a video/audio mixer, such as Roland VR-3ex, and then I believe you can have the video go out two different ways. I will find out this weekend as I have stake conference. We would like to put into our satellite cabinet a AVDH 1 which is a video/audio distribution amplifier. This way we can use it for the satellite, camera and to receive webcasting into the buildings RF modulators.
kaaloa

Post by kaaloa »

Jthork, what camera are you using? Does your camera have an xlr input? I put a "y" splitter at the podium jack and put a wireless cube (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... eries.html) at the jack (the other end of the "y" goes to the house like normal) and then the receiver at the camera. The HDMI feed comes out of the camera (hopefully audio is synced or very close) and into the vidiu. That is if you are not broadcasting locally.

If, like us, you are broadcasting locally and to satellite buildings, then you will need a few more pieces of hardware. You will need an HDMI splitter (we used http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... itter.html because it is cheap) where the camera feed would go into. Coming out, you can have one go to a monitor so you can see what exactly is going out on the other 3 ports, one to the vidiu and then to the web, and another to a scaler (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... _with.html) that will convert the HDMI signal into an SD signal via rca video and dual audio. This signal can be routed into other rooms.

It's hard to give more advice without more information. The better your describe your setup, the better advice I can give.

Moku
kaaloa

Post by kaaloa »

harddrive wrote:With regards to audio, we have had our sound tech give us a wired connection right off the chapel amplifier.
I opted to not go this route because I wanted a feed before it is manipulated by the potentiometer at the 2nd counsellors chair or at the amplifier. If you get the signal after the potentiometer, then your signal will go up and down depending on where that knob is. I actually control the level at our switcher so I don't have to rely on anyone else as to optimum audio levels.

Had I not had my (personally owned) wireless system, it would not have been a problem to pre run a cable along the side of the chapel to the camera.

Moku
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kaaloa wrote:I opted to not go this route because I wanted a feed before it is manipulated by the potentiometer at the 2nd counsellors chair or at the amplifier.
Have you checked and is it affected? It might not be.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kaaloa

Post by kaaloa »

I actually didn't test it, but it was actually easier to go this route for me so just chose to do it this way. Oh, and I can't actually get to the main amplifier so that option is out for me. To me, closer to the source I can get the better.

Moku

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”