New Stake and moving membership records

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
rickk

New Stake and moving membership records

Post by rickk »

Hello,

On Sunday we create a new stake in our area (2 to make 3) but there were no ward boundary changes. We had 6 wards from the previous stakes moved into the new stake. We are trying to get things going in LCR and CDOL and have been working with the GSC. The stake is now active in CDOL and the 3 members of the stake presidency are listed. We need to get the clerks added so they can have the ability to update callings as they are filled in the new stake. However, even though CDOL properly lists the stake and the 6 wards as children, LCR in lds.org is still showing everyone as members of the previous stakes. A call to GSC this morning indicated that the ward clerks would have to move every member to the new stake. That seems crazy given that we just want to move the entire ward(s) to the new stake. Is this really a manual process that has to be run on all 3200 members?! Isn't there a way to automatically get all of the members in the 6 wards transferred to the new stake?

Thanks,
Rick
eblood66

Re: New Stake and moving membership records

Post by eblood66 »

Several years ago I was ward clerk for a ward that moved from one stake to another (both were pre-existing). We did not have to move any records at that time but I don't know if something might have changed since then or if it makes a difference that you've got a new stake.

However, even if you do need to move all the records, you should be able to use the boundary realignment option to move all the members in a ward at one time. You shouldn't have to move each member individually.
rickk

Post by rickk »

Thanks for the experience. We are waiting for more detailed instructions from GSC, but if we can do the entire ward in one step, that makes me feel better. I just don't want to have any members left "orphaned" in the correct ward but the old stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would not do any moves unless instructed by CHQ to do so. Moving people from their ward will release the members from their callings. (Assuming you could even do so - since they'd be moving from their ward to the same ward.) Wait for CHQ to re-assign everyone in the ward to their new stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rickk

Post by rickk »

russellhltn wrote:I would not do any moves unless instructed by CHQ to do so. Moving people from their ward will release the members from their callings. (Assuming you could even do so - since they'd be moving from their ward to the same ward.) Wait for CHQ to re-assign everyone in the ward to their new stake.
That's the problem - we have been waiting and then in a call today to the GSC, they said the ward clerks would have to do this. That didn't sound right to me so I wanted to see if anyone here had more information. From what you are saying, the members will move to the new stake automatically at some point without the local clerks having to do anything. That is what I expected and didn't want to go off in the wrong direction, but we also need to get the wards moved into the stake so we can begin assigning members to stake callings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The problem is, the clerks can only move members to a new ward. Howzat that supposed to work if they are already in the right ward?

As far as I know, members are members of their ward. They become members of the stake depending on what stake that unit is assigned to.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rickk

Post by rickk »

Thanks - that's what I thought and it looks like the wards have now moved. On lds.org, I can see that I am assigned to the new stake, but I can still see the leadership in the old stake because I am still listed as an Asst Stake Clerk (out of unit now, I guess). Not sure if that will drop off automatically, but it should now be possible to get me listed as Asst Stake Clerk again in the new stake and then we can move forward as we expected.

Thanks for the comments. I thought that the GSC was directing us down the wrong path on having the clerks move members...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure as the "release" system works properly if there's no ward change.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rickk wrote:On Sunday we create a new stake in our area (2 to make 3) but there were no ward boundary changes.
Give it some time, probably a week, for CHQ to sort it all out. You do not need to do anything. If CDOL is correct, and LCR does not follow after about a week, start asking again. Since everyone is staying in the same ward(s), membership records do not need to move.

In the meantime, don't forget to have each ward update MLS with the new stake unit number and name in the Systems area.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

From what I'm seeing, it appears things in LCR are starting to settle out and work correctly. The stake was updated yesterday afternoon in CDOL, so there are likely a few things still propagating between systems.

The user's current unit (stake or stake and ward) is shown at the top right of the LCR page (just below the gray menu bar). If the stake president logs in, he should see the stake information. If a bishop logs in, he should see the new stake and his ward. Member records will move with the wards. If ward boundaries did not change, there is nothing I know of that needs to be done with member records.

The old stake will need to update callings to release members who moved to the new stake and have been released. The new stake president should be able to add callings for the stake clerks that have been sustained. Remember that there will be a delay while systems are synchronizing (wait 12 to 24 hours) before they have access.

Members will need to sync in LDS Tools to get the updated information for the new stake.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”