Trouble recovering account information for a member

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
abc46

Trouble recovering account information for a member

Post by abc46 »

A member who has recently moved to my ward is trying to access lds.org so she can see the ward calendar. She doesn't recall ever having an LDS account before, and I was helping her to set one up, but we have run into some snags. When trying to create an account, we got the message "Either the MRN and/or Birth Date is not valid or the account already exists." We then looked at account recovery options. When entering the membership record number and birthdate, we get "This recovery option is not available for this account. Please try another option." I tried entering an incorrect record number or birthdate and we get the same error message as we did when trying to open the account. This makes me assume that an account must exist - but if we don't know the username, and the recovery options won't work, what are we to do?
johnshaw

Re: Trouble recovering account information for a member

Post by johnshaw »

If you've done all of that then you'll need to work with lds account support. It is a little heavy handed to get through, but you need to click on Help, and then work through the questions.... Have a Different Question? --> I did not find an answer to my question --> contact our support team.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think I'd look at how you're entering the MRN and birthdate. Make sure you're using information that matches the membership record. It's possible it's wrong on her membership record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
abc46

Post by abc46 »

Thanks. MRN and birthdate are definitely right. We were able to figure out the username that she would have likely used in the past, and I can tell it's in the system, but it won't allow a password reset online. I've contacted LDS Account support.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I wonder if there's a lockout after too many attempts? To prevent someone from hacking into someone's account.

I also wonder if there's security according to the member's calling. You wouldn't want someone resetting a bishop's account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”