Calendar items show with incorrect dates and times in LDS Tools app

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
dperkins22

Calendar items show with incorrect dates and times in LDS Tools app

Post by dperkins22 »

I am located in Phoenix, AZ where we do not observe Daylight Savings Time (DST). I've discovered that website calendar events scheduled during the approximately 8 months of DST show up incorrectly in the LDS Tools app on my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime). Events listed as "All-day" events show up on two days, the correct day and the following day. Those events that are listed for specific hours show up on the correct day, but with a start time that is one hour later than the correct start time. Everything shows up correctly on the Church website calendar, but not in my LDS Tools app. I've checked (and rechecked) my phone and it appears to be set correctly as to date, time and time zone (I've selected the feature to automatically use the network-provided time zone.) Any suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Calendar items show with incorrect dates and times in LDS Tools app

Post by russellhltn »

dperkins22 wrote:I've checked (and rechecked) my phone and it appears to be set correctly as to date, time and time zone (I've selected the feature to automatically use the network-provided time zone.) Any suggestions?
As a test, I'd change the setting and manually select your time zone. I've run into very similar issues on my android phone affecting scheduled events in the phone's calendar app.

However, I'm also seeing an issue that I think is a problem with the LDS Tools API. The times are off. I also use the sync URL, and those times are correct.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dperkins22

Post by dperkins22 »

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to manually select the time zone but that hasn't worked either. Part of the problem is that the phone doesn't have "Phoenix, AZ" as a choice, which many devices do. If you can think of any other possibilities, please let me know. Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dperkins22 wrote:Part of the problem is that the phone doesn't have "Phoenix, AZ" as a choice, which many devices do.
I've got a "Arizona" on mine. What listings do you have in the "GMT-7:00" group?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dperkins22

Post by dperkins22 »

I show Mountain Standard Time listed twice for some reason, as well as Chihuahua. No others.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dperkins22 wrote:I show Mountain Standard Time listed twice for some reason,
Does one have a icon that the other doesn't? Not in settings, but in my Calendar app, zones that do daylight savings have a "sun" icon.

dperkins22

Post by dperkins22 »

The calendar app on the phone has an option to lock events to my time zone and under that I can actually select phoenix as my time zone. I had selected that. Not sure if that's what you are referring to.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In tracing the problem I was experiencing, I've found that different Android phones have different idiosyncrasies in setting the time zone. I believe the setting of importance is the one in the phone settings.

I was just trying to draw on the different experiences I had to see if there was a difference between the two "Mountain Standard Time" zones you saw. I think when the rest of the US goes on DST, you'll find you'll have one MST and one MDT. That is, one "MST" will change to "MDT", while the other will stay locked to "MST". But why there's no indication of which one is which, I don't know.

dperkins22

Post by dperkins22 »

Interesting. Well, the switch is less than two months away, so I'll wait to see what happens then. In the meantime, I've told everyone if I'm an hour late to meetings, it's my phone's fault. =)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dperkins22 wrote:Interesting. Well, the switch is less than two months away, so I'll wait to see what happens then. In the meantime, I've told everyone if I'm an hour late to meetings, it's my phone's fault. =)
That's what I would say! [grin]

My Android phone also has a selection under the time zone section that toggles whether or not the phone recognizes Daylight Saving Time. If I check the box, the phone does not change when almost all of the rest of the world changes.

I am to the point in my life when I will be glad when "time is no more". It helps me with the enduring to the end thing.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”