Can't Get Priesthood Office to Stay Changed

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Vaccano

Can't Get Priesthood Office to Stay Changed

Post by Vaccano »

I have a Young Man in my ward that has been ordained to the office of Teacher in the Aaronic Priesthood.

We have changed his records several times and after a day or so, his record reverts back to being a Deacon.

I was looking closer at the records trying to see what could be wrong and I noticed that we was ordained 5 days before his 14th birthday.

Even though the MLS does not seem to mind, this got me thinking that maybe the checks at church headquarters are more strict than the MLS and it is rejecting the change back because he was ordained while still 13 yrs and 361 days old.

If this is the case, what can I do? Should I lie to the system, and tell it he was ordained on his birthday? (Seems wrong to me.)

Or does the young man need to be ordained again? (Seems a bit extreme.) Also he is in the teacher quorum's presidency. So, if he needs to be ordained again, does is setting apart to the teacher quorum's presidency need to be done again too?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Can't Get Priesthood Office to Stay Changed

Post by sbradshaw »

I would call Local Unit Support – often they are able to work around the automatic rule enforcement to get unusual things recorded.
As for whether he should be ordained again, Local Unit Support may or may not give you counsel on that but it might be a good idea to ask the stake president what he'd like you to do.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That sounds like a reasonable guess. I'd point Bishop to Handbook 1: 16.1.10. There's a section that covers ordinances done before the appropriate age.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

(To clarify, Local Unit Support is part of the Global Service Center. Contact information for the United States and Canada is available here.)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:I would call Local Unit Support – often they are able to work around the automatic rule enforcement to get unusual things recorded.
That's unlikely in this case since the handbook is quite explicit about what needs to happen (in the section russelhltn indicated).

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”