Forums support RSS?

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
jepeneter-p40

Forums support RSS?

Post by jepeneter-p40 »

I noticed that the RSS feed for LDSTech doesn't seem to include posts for the forums? I see that the forum module you are using seems to support email subscription but that is sooooo Web 1.0. :-)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I'm looking into this.

Tom
craiger

Link to RSS feed

Post by craiger »

It looks like RSS for the forums is working already... here's the link from the FAQ:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/external.php?type=rss2
jeffvand

Post by jeffvand »

I just copied the new posts page into my google reader and it added the RSS feed just fine. Works great! Yeah! I love RSS!! Thanks!
leejj

Post by leejj »

The RSS feed seems to only be the first initial post. Any replies to them do not show up in the feed.

Josh
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Yes, the software only shows the thread. Unfortunately at this time you have to jump to the forum to read all of the posts. From the FAQ section it says about RSS syndication:
this allows you to view newly created threads in guest viewable forums without visiting the board.
I agree that this seems somewhat restrictive. I'll keep my eyes open for some type of mod that would provide more.

Tom
16cards-p40

Post by 16cards-p40 »

What is the status of either thread level feeds or a gllobal feed that includes messages from threads, not just the initial message? Lack of RSS for threads is a big problem.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

16cards wrote:What is the status of either thread level feeds or a gllobal feed that includes messages from threads, not just the initial message? Lack of RSS for threads is a big problem.
Currently there is no change in the status of the RSS feeds. You have the option of getting a feed of all new threads in all forums or all new threads in a particular forum. However these feeds do not include new posts within the threads. Also you can subscribe to individual threads and receive email updates of all new posts. I'll keep looking for a solution that will do RSS for all new posts as well as threads.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Since it will e-mail out the updates, would there be a quick way to also add the content of the e-mail to an rss feed page? Doesn't seem like it should be that hard, though timewise it might be too much for right now.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I've been looking for mods for vBulletin that will do this but I've not found any yet. I'll keep looking.

Tom

Return to “Help with this forum”