Tithing Settlement statement question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lomondview

Tithing Settlement statement question

Post by lomondview »

A former Bishop in my ward is asking me for the statement that is printed out from MLS or LDS.org that states the amount of annual tithing the member paid and has a place for the bishop's signature at the bottom of the page. I have never heard of such a document. MLS does not provide such a document, as I showed him the 3 types of settlement and tithing doc's MLS provides. Is there some other form, possible no longer used/continued that he is referencing? Also, it appears that he pair all o fhis annual tithing at the end of December, hence his asking me to print out the settlement sheet so he can submit it with his taxes.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Tithing Settlement statement question

Post by aebrown »

jeremybates wrote:A former Bishop in my ward is asking me for the statement that is printed out from MLS or LDS.org that states the amount of annual tithing the member paid and has a place for the bishop's signature at the bottom of the page. I have never heard of such a document. MLS does not provide such a document, as I showed him the 3 types of settlement and tithing doc's MLS provides. Is there some other form, possible no longer used/continued that he is referencing? Also, it appears that he pair all o fhis annual tithing at the end of December, hence his asking me to print out the settlement sheet so he can submit it with his taxes.
It sounds like he's asking for the Official Tax Statement, which indeed is available in MLS under the Donor Statements area. Under Finance, choose Donor Statements. Then in the dropdown for Type of Report, choose "Official Tax Statements (United States)" -- assuming you're in the US. Check the box by the donor name(s) you want to generate the statement(s) for and then click the Print button.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jeremybates wrote:It appears that he paid all of his annual tithing at the end of December, hence his asking me to print out the settlement sheet so he can submit it with his taxes.
If he donated to your unit and others during the year, the Official Tax Summary Statement for donors will be available this month, possibly next week. At the same time they become available, the member will be able to go to Donations at LDS.org and print out a Tax Statement there, as well.

For donations only made in your ward, in MLS, you can find the statement now by clicking on Finance, then Finance Statements, and then Official Tax Summary Statement.

The bishop used to sign this annual statement each January. Your former bishop probably remembers signing hundreds of letters while he served. Times have changed. It's a newer, connected world. (Most of the time.)
lomondview

Post by lomondview »

Thanks so much! Any chance I can access MLS from home or from a computer not in the chapel?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jeremybates wrote:Thanks so much! Any chance I can access MLS from home or from a computer not in the chapel?
Afraid not. Eventually the finance parts of MLS will be moved to LCR on lds.org but that is probably still a ways off.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jeremybates wrote:Thanks so much! Any chance I can access MLS from home or from a computer not in the chapel?
No, but the member can access their own statement, complete with signature, with the on-line donation system. (Assuming the donor was properly connected to the membership record in MLS.) The ones for 2015 aren't ready yet, but they will be soon.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sjniedermeyer

Post by sjniedermeyer »

russellhltn wrote:
No, but the member can access their own statement, complete with signature, with the on-line donation system. (Assuming the donor was properly connected to the membership record in MLS.) The ones for 2015 aren't ready yet, but they will be soon.
It would be great to have some kind of notice on the donor statements screen that indicated when the official US tax statements for the previous year (i.e. 2015) will be available. Something like, "The previous year's official tax statement will be available by Jan 31st". This year we're going to print out all of the donor statements and hand them out like past years. However, I could see us directing people to print their own and then asking us to print their statements upon request in 2017. It would be great to know when the online statements will be made available.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sjniedermeyer wrote:It would be great to have some kind of notice on the donor statements screen that indicated when the official US tax statements for the previous year (i.e. 2015) will be available..
There was a statement that appeared at the top of the donor page after the first part of January that stated the tax statements would be available by the 31st of January but no earlier than January 19th. That statement has been removed recently. It would be nice if they had left the statement on the screen. But since the Church adheres to tax law and the requirement to have tax statements available by January 31st then I feel comfortable knowing the statement will be available by January 31st.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
craig57

Post by craig57 »

sign in for tithing settle ment

Return to “Local Unit Finance”