PDF option download of General Conferance

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
1968leocomeeatabite

PDF option download of General Conferance

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

Preparing a talk, and noticed that some years of general conferences are not available to down load, in a text format. It seems to give audio, and video options, but no PDF option. Anyone have any ideas or info.?

Wondering if it is a project in progress, over site, or maybe something to do with beta?

Maybe I should be using notes to put all my preparation into that?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: PDF option download of General Conferance

Post by aebrown »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Preparing a talk, and noticed that some years of general conferences are not available to down load, in a text format. It seems to give audio, and video options, but no PDF option. Anyone have any ideas or info.?
Yes, it appears that the Download menu only has a PDF option for the more recent years. But clicking on the talk title always gives you the text, which you can copy/paste or preserve in a variety of ways. It's not formatted quite as nicely as the downloaded PDF, but all the content is available that way.

I have no idea what the plans are for extending this download option to other years. But it looks like it is simply a set of selected pages from the corresponding Ensign issue. So as long as the talk you are interested in is not so far in the past that there is no Ensign available, you can get the same content just by going to the corresponding Ensign issue.

For example, President Hinckley's 2005 Gambling talk has no PDF text download. But you can go to the May 2005 Ensign, and click on the Download link in the upper right corner (directly to the right of "May 2005" in the row with the gray background). That will give you the full PDF for that issue, and that talk is on pages 58-61. There are a variety of ways to extract those pages if you want a separate PDF (using a PDF printer such as CutePDF, or an extractor such as PDF Splitter).

Return to “Main Church Website”