Proposed benefits of Terminal Services

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
politicalfusion-p40

Proposed benefits of Terminal Services

Post by politicalfusion-p40 »

Bullet points to whet your appetite for continued reading:

a) Save 20+% on Church’s annual hardware replacement/upgrade costs

b) Solve legacy application issues

c) Iron-clad data security and control. The real kind.

d) Cheap to implement - probably less than 1 year’s cost savings.

e) Cheap to maintain - less than 30 seconds/user/month tech support.

I implement terminal server based business models for small to medium sized businesses (currently several hundred users). The larger the business, the more beneficial our solution. Most people who have tried terminal servers have been disappointed with the result because they use the wrong type of connection or a bad setup.
Everyone in the Church I’ve talked to about Terminal Servers doesn’t understand what I am talking about at all. They discuss VPN solutions, remote control solutions, etc.

Those aren’t what I’m talking about.

It will only take 15 minutes to show you how we’ve fixed problems and provided working solutions. It’s what I showed the Orlando ERS folks that got them so excited. I want to show you, because everyone I show becomes very excited. All you need is a Windows computer (preferably running Windows XP) and 15 minutes. If it is not a direction you want to explore, I will drop it entirelyJ. I am not selling something. You can take this ball and run with it without me.

I feel like someone who has something important and can’t get anyone to listen. Hopefully, this forum will allow me to remedy that feeling. All I want is 15 minutes.

Sincerely Yours,
Edward Wilson
ysabeau-p40

Post by ysabeau-p40 »

why was this account banned please?
brado426

Post by brado426 »

Probably because at first glance your post looks like spam. :)
ysabeau-p40

Post by ysabeau-p40 »

hi,

i am a real person. this can be verified with the director of the orlando ers office or my bishop in the daytona beach ward in florida. i am obviously hesitant to post their actual names or numbers online, but am confident you have access to them or can email me and i will provide them.

i finally received a private message explaining my account was banned for containing
'spammed advertisements' as noted above

this is not spam
this is not an advertisement, other than for the specific forum purpose:
"so you have the BIG idea that the Church orcommunity needs to develop."

i think i do have the BIG idea. i am excited. how would the forum prefer me to have posted a big idea? i specifically stated: 'I am not selling something. You can take this ball and run with it without me.' at the same time, i want to itemize why i think it is a good idea so people will take a look at it. i am willing to support and defend every item under cross examination by knowledgeable individuals.

I just want someone to listen and let me show them. or ask questions for me to answer. i love the church. i have something really great and just want a hearing.

sincerely,
miserable

ps - my wife is cheering me up by pointing out that Joseph Smith probably would have been banned. excited, fantastic claim, noone listening... maybe the elders will empathize with me when i tell them... lol :)
brado426

Post by brado426 »

ysabeau wrote:hi,

i am a real person. this can be verified with the director of the orlando ers office or my bishop in the daytona beach ward in florida. i am obviously hesitant to post their actual names or numbers online, but am confident you have access to them or can email me and i will provide them.

i finally received a private message explaining my account was banned for containing
'spammed advertisements' as noted above

this is not spam
this is not an advertisement, other than for the specific forum purpose:
"so you have the BIG idea that the Church orcommunity needs to develop."

i think i do have the BIG idea. i am excited. how would the forum prefer me to have posted a big idea? i specifically stated: 'I am not selling something. You can take this ball and run with it without me.' at the same time, i want to itemize why i think it is a good idea so people will take a look at it. i am willing to support and defend every item under cross examination by knowledgeable individuals.

I just want someone to listen and let me show them. or ask questions for me to answer. i love the church. i have something really great and just want a hearing.

sincerely,
miserable

ps - my wife is cheering me up by pointing out that Joseph Smith probably would have been banned. excited, fantastic claim, noone listening... maybe the elders will empathize with me when i tell them... lol :)

I wouldn't fret about it too much. One of the admins will probably unban you after they read your message fully. I'd actually like to hear your idea even though I don't work for the Church.

Brad O.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ysabeau wrote:i am a real person.
Irrelevant. While the majority of spam is from bots, most people consider any unsolicited advertising as spam.

It's also against the Code of Conduct
You may not post any of the following:
[...]
Commercial messages, promotions, or similar solicitations (anything that would be considered “spam” if received via email).
From your message, it's clear that this is something you personally have a financial interest in as opposed to suggesting a technology.

As for your idea: Most offices don't have Internet connection. They still use dial-up on a non-dedicated line. As such, I don't think that idea will fly. While Internet access is being rolled out, from some of the messages indicate that it's not easy or cheap in some areas.

P.S. - I didn't ban you - someone else beat me to it.
ysabeau-p40

Post by ysabeau-p40 »

thank you for the replies.

i am suggesting a technologywith financial benefits. i have no personal financial stake at all, as repeatedly stated. none. just because i have been involved in IT professionally doesn't mean this is a solicitation: "you can take this ball and run with it without me"

this technology will not work everywhere, due to the restrictions on internet access, but it would work for many mission offices, employment resource centers, etc.

a high speed, online connection is desirable, but not at all necessary. all that we are transferring is a monitor image down and keystrokes up.

my next posts will begin laying out this technologyin more depth. we will discuss using the capabilities of windows server 2003's active directory, group policy, and terminal server. eventually we will discuss virtualization of server platforms for migrating legacy applications and providing unprecedented data integrity and security.

if you need a white paper, i'll draft one :)

:)
brado426

Post by brado426 »

RussellHltn wrote: From your message, it's clear that this is something you personally have a financial interest in as opposed to suggesting a technology.

He specifically said that he wasn't selling anything and that it was something you could "take and run with" on your own. It sounds to me as though he is suggesting a technology. His post may have been in "spam form", but I don't think it was spam. I'd like to hear what he is excited about even if the Church does not yet have the infrastructure to support it.

Brad
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

ysabeau wrote:thank you for the replies.

i am suggesting a technologywith financial benefits. i have no personal financial stake at all, as repeatedly stated. none. just because i have been involved in IT professionally doesn't mean this is a solicitation: "you can take this ball and run with it without me"

this technology will not work everywhere, due to the restrictions on internet access, but it would work for many mission offices, employment resource centers, etc.

a high speed, online connection is desirable, but not at all necessary. all that we are transferring is a monitor image down and keystrokes up.

my next posts will begin laying out this technologyin more depth. we will discuss using the capabilities of windows server 2003's active directory, group policy, and terminal server. eventually we will discuss virtualization of server platforms for migrating legacy applications and providing unprecedented data integrity and security.

if you need a white paper, i'll draft one :)

:)
Your initial post was very "spam like". Now that you have explained it further, we can see that you were trying to share with the Church a way to save money. Our moderators are VERY sensitive to spam messages as they should be so sorry if it was misread. However here are a few things that make it look like spam.

1. The title: "Save $, Solve Lots of Problems". We see this type of spam from time to time. A different way to say the same thing may have been something like: "Idea to save the Church a lot of money".

2. After your bullet point savings, you mention that you do implement a lot of TS solutions. So we all assumed you were trying to sell the same solution to the Church.

3. You ask for someone to talk to. You said "It will only take 15 minutes to show you how we’ve fixed problems and provided working solutions". Again, this sounded like you want to talk to someone to "sell" your solution.

I hope that this clarifies the issue more. We have a very serious charge to keep these forums free of spam, and other inappropriate content.

Thanks for participating.

Tom
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

We use a terminal server technology to connect to our office from home - using Citrix I believe. It allows us to run all our software through the Internet at the low end broadband speeds. Not sure if it would work with dialup.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”