move in lists

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
SeggarSB

move in lists

Post by SeggarSB »

Frequently member records with addresses not located in our ward are sent to our ward. We are confused as to why this repeatedly happens. Can this error be corrected so undue transferring of records is prevented.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: move in lists

Post by russellhltn »

There are a few possibilities:
  • Some clerks are under the mistaken idea that they have to specify a ward for all move outs. They may be inputting the wrong ward. Generally, you only need to specify a ward if the member will be attending a language or singles ward. Otherwise, it should default to the correct ward.
  • The maps that CHQ has for your ward may be incorrect. You might want to look at CDOL to see what boundaries they have on file for you.
  • CHQ's software may not be doing a good job of defining what address is in or outside of your boundaries. Especially of something like "Main Street" runs though multiple units. In that case, they need to know what address block belongs to your ward and what belongs to the other wards.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

SeggarSB wrote:Frequently member records with addresses not located in our ward are sent to our ward. We are confused as to why this repeatedly happens. Can this error be corrected so undue transferring of records is prevented.
This may not be an error, if it is part of an initiative on the part of Church headquarters to find members who are currently in the Address Unknown file. Periodically records will be sent to wards for review. They may be records that were once in your ward, or records that have some connection to current members of your ward, or perhaps some other reason. The goal is to help find these lost sheep, and so you should follow the standard procedures for moving records out of your ward with an unknown address. Hopefully you'll be able to find some of these people by following those procedures, but if not, you can move them out of your ward and those particular records will not come back.

The "Moved In Report" on LCR will have a special symbol by those records which came from the Address Unknown file to help you identify those records.

There are instructions about what to do with these records, which you can learn about in this discussion.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think he's saying that these members have an address on the membership record, but it's not within the ward boundaries.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:I think he's saying that these members have an address on the membership record, but it's not within the ward boundaries.
I understand. But we have seen some records moved into our stake that had addresses outside the stake. I assumed that they were the last known address, but I don't know that for sure. In any case, it's easy enough to check the Moved In Report on LCR to see if the records came from Address Unknown just in case.

It's probably more likely that there is something wrong with the boundaries or the address lookup as you suggested, but I thought I'd mention another possibility, even if it is remote.

Also, nothing was said about how far outside the ward boundaries the addresses on these records are. If they are not far, then the boundary issue is more likely, but if they are far away, it might be a different issue.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:But we have seen some records moved into our stake that had addresses outside the stake. I assumed that they were the last known address, but I don't know that for sure.
That's strange.

Return to “Membership Help”