Help providing proof of membership?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
markfletcher

Help providing proof of membership?

Post by markfletcher »

Hello,

As the Stake Clerk, I just received a letter from an out of stake member requesting his baptismal certificate. He has his name, birth date (in 1975) and has his exact baptismal date was in 1983. He has also provided is parents name. He is requesting his baptismal certificate. As his records are no longer in our stake, I am wondering who to direct him to? Thanks in advance.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Help providing proof of membership?

Post by lajackson »

The clerk in the ward or branch where his membership record currently resides will be able to verify the information and then provide a baptism certificate.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd be curious to know why he's asking for it. Given the title, it seems his current ward is having trouble finding his records. It's entirely possible that his baptism wasn't recorded and due to inactivity, the problem with his records never came to light until now.

But it's more likely there's a issue that keeps the clerk from finding it. In those types of situations, it's best to call Local Unit Support and and the support people search for it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:In those types of situations, it's best to call Local Unit Support and and the support people search for it.
I am sure that the clerk of the ward where the member currently resides will do just that if he does not have the membership record or does not receive it when he requests it.

Also, since the baptism occurred in 1983, Church headquarters will be able to look up the Report of Ordinances Performed for the year in the ward where the baptism took place. It should also be recorded in the report for that ward.

But the stake clerk said the record is no longer in his stake. He is correct that they should not prepare another baptism certificate without the record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:But the stake clerk said the record is no longer in his stake. He is correct that they should not prepare another baptism certificate without the record.
Agreed. But I'm looking at the title of this thread along with the request.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”