July Financial Statement Errors

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
gpetersen-p40

July Financial Statement Errors

Post by gpetersen-p40 »

I am both a stake and ward finance clerk. I reconciled both accounts today and found the beginning balance on the July "Other" category did not match the June ending balance. Also, on my ward statement, the July statement showed negative beginning balances in the "Tithing" and "Fast Offering" categories, which should always be zero. Am I just the "lucky" one, or are there others out there? :confused:
ken.nicholas

Same for me

Post by ken.nicholas »

Ward account -- tithing and FO both had a negative balance, which matched the amounts from the deposit the 3rd Sunday of June.

Other was also off.
Hmonglish-p40

Same here

Post by Hmonglish-p40 »

We had a negative ending balance in both the Tithing and FO categories. I'm glad to know that our ward wasn't the only one. :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gpetersen wrote:I am both a stake and ward finance clerk. I reconciled both accounts today and found the beginning balance on the July "Other" category did not match the June ending balance.
I can't speak for a ward statement, but I reconciled our stake account this morning and found that the ending June balances were exactly the same as the July beginning balances, including the Other category.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I called HQ this morning and they have a recorded message specifically related to this problem. In summary:

There may be a problem with the July church unit financial statements. Specifically, the beginning balances may not match the June ending balances. Church HQ is aware of this and will be sending out corrected statements soon. Remove the incorrect statement from the list of financial statements in MLS. A corrected one should arrive shortly

For reconciling, you can either wait for the corrected statement, or you can adjust your July ending balance by the amount of the error as follows:

1. Subtract July beginning balance from June ending balance (for each category)
2. Add the result of #1 to the July ending balance (by category)
3. Enter these adjusted ending balances (result of #2) into the July reconciliation.
ljharvey

July Financial Errors

Post by ljharvey »

These errors are a combination of multiple June Stake Financial Summary Errors.

Our units also had July Beginning Balance problems for Tithing and Budgit. As noted these errors were amounts equal to the 3rd week of June. They appeared on the Stake Summary for June but not on the June UNIT Financial Statements.

Our Stake Account had errors in the Other Account on the Summary due to the monthly transfer credits being doubled, although the Unit Bank Statement was correct.

I would suggest waiting for the new statements to be sent out, but you can also use the "Temporay Adjustments" to track the errors until Headquarters has it corrected.

This give you a tracking path for the error and shows your auditers what actions were taken and when.
;)
Harv;)
kmalone-p40

Post by kmalone-p40 »

How do you know if you have the correct July statement.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Looks you can compare the beginning balance on the July "Other" category and see if it matches the June ending balance. If it's a match, you're good to go.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kmalone-p40

Post by kmalone-p40 »

Mikerowaved wrote:Looks you can compare the beginning balance on the July "Other" category and see if it matches the June ending balance. If it's a match, you're good to go.

Thanks

I do accounting everyday and sometimes the simplest things slip by after doing all day long. :D
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

The July statements balance information were in error when they were sent down due to a back end database problem. The developers are working on the fix and we hope to have new statements sent down some time next week. Until then, I would disregard the July statement for now. It will be replaced by a correct statement hopefully by next week.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”