Deceased ward member

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
danieledmonds

Deceased ward member

Post by danieledmonds »

How do I retrieve the membership number of a recently deceased ward member? Can't seem to find the contact details for the Church Membership Dept which I assume has the 'Deceased Member File'
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Deceased ward member

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest trying the support numbers listed in Support Contact Information for U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

What do you need the membership number for? I can't think of why it would be of any use.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:What do you need the membership number for? I can't think of why it would be of any use.
I was going to say the same thing, but it might be to connect the member's donations to his record. That's the only use I can think of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:I was going to say the same thing, but it might be to connect the member's donations to his record. That's the only use I can think of.
That's possible but I'm not sure what advantage connecting the donations would provide at this point. The two main reasons I know to connect donations to the membership record are so that donations show up online and so they show up on the year-end 'all units' statement send from CHQ. The former won't be available after the member has died (we've been told that the LDS Account is not accessible for deceased members) and the latter gets sent to the unit with the member's records, which doesn't exist.

If the estate needs a record of donations then the clerk probably just needs to print it and provide it on paper (unless CHQ has the ability to provide an 'all units' statement directly to the estate on request).

Return to “Membership Help”