Tax Statements for 2015 - printing necessary?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dheilner

Tax Statements for 2015 - printing necessary?

Post by dheilner »

Many of you have probably seen that in addition to making online donations, a member can also access an official US tax statement and a contributions summary from their LDS login. Right now, it only shows 2014 and prior years. Does anyone know how soon the tax statement will show up for 2015 (current year)?

My main and related question is if it's still necessary to print and hand out the paper US tax statements in the wards/branches. I think it's a good idea and would still recommend it, but for some members it may not be necessary given that they can access online and may not want to have additional papers to store.

Appreciate your thoughts
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Tax Statements for 2015 - printing necessary?

Post by lajackson »

dheilner wrote:Does anyone know how soon the tax statement will show up for 2015 (current year)?

My main and related question is if it's still necessary to print and hand out the paper US tax statements in the wards/branches. I think it's a good idea and would still recommend it, but for some members it may not be necessary given that they can access online and may not want to have additional papers to store.
In previous years, the tax statement has become available in January, once the current year ends.

The instructions are to print the tax statements and give them to the members. Because they are now available for the members to print themselves, our clerk has been speaking with members to ask them if they will print their own statements, or if they would rather the ward print one for them. He will print statements for any members who have not indicated in some way that they will print their own.
chad.stewart

Post by chad.stewart »

I'm only printing them by exception for members without access to internet or a computer, or if they make a special request and cannot get it online. If they have internet in the home they can get on LDS.org/donations and print off a tax valid statement. Self-sufficiency at it's best!
dbollard99

Post by dbollard99 »

My tax statement is not available yet. Does anyone know will the 2015 Official US Tax Statement become available to members?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dbollard99 wrote:My tax statement is not available yet. Does anyone know will the 2015 Official US Tax Statement become available to members?
I don't know, but there hasn't been a regular business day in 2016 yet, so I'm not surprised that they aren't available yet. For donations made via BillPay, the Monthly Charitable Cash Contributions Statement is sent on the 5th of each month, so my guess is that annual statements would not be available any sooner than January 5th. But that's just a guess.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd imagine that the church may wait a few business days to make sure all those Dec 31st transactions go though. ;)

I believe the legal requirement is to distribute them by the 31st, so they have plenty of time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:I'd imagine that the church may wait a few business days to make sure all those Dec 31st transactions go though. ;)
Not only that but checks given to a bishopric member before Dec 31st may not actually get deposited until this Sunday. Check that were mailed before Dec 31st may not get deposited until next Sunday (or even the Sunday after if the mail is really slow). But those should all be on the Tax Statement.

So it's quite possible that the tax statements won't be available until later in January to make sure that all 2015 donations have been processed before generating the statements.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Check that were mailed before Dec 31st may not get deposited until next Sunday (or even the Sunday after if the mail is really slow). But those should all be on the Tax Statement.
Good point. In this case, even if postmarked Dec 31st, if they weren't delivered on Jan 2, they won't make this Sunday's deposit. Next January will be even more interesting as the 31st falls on a Saturday - meaning there's zero chance of any mailed checks arriving by the first Sunday.

So it would be wise to wait until the second Sunday to make sure they all arrived and were processed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Getting back to the original question of mass printing all the statements or letting members print their own, I remember a few years ago as a finance clerk they started having all bishops/branch presidents sign every tax-ready statement. Has that requirement changed? If not, how would members obtain such a signature on statements they print themselves?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:how would members obtain such a signature on statements they print themselves?
If you print the 2014, you'll find it's signed by a "Treasury Services Division Representative".

Return to “Local Unit Finance”