Destination Unit Lookup failure when moving membership out

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
rontilby

Destination Unit Lookup failure when moving membership out

Post by rontilby »

When moving membership records out, if I enter an address formatted EXACTLY as the software expects (including zip+4), then the "Suggested format" is skipped AND the "Unit Where the Record(s) Are Moving" field is blank!!
For example, I entered:
[street deleted by timriker]
Draper Utah 84020-6006
and the "Unit Where the Record(s) Are Moving" on the "Choose Destination Unit" page is blank.
If I format the address a little differently, or omit the +4 part of the zip code then the new unit name is populated.

I have also submitted this bug using LDS.ORG Feedback.
kellymab

Re: Destination Unit Lookup failure when moving membership out

Post by kellymab »

I know when we had a couple of new zip codes created in my stake, the software had issues recognizing the new codes. If that is a newer area of Draper or a code change recently happened, the system might not recognize it until the next zip code push out by the USPS.
mevans

Re: Destination Unit Lookup failure when moving membership out

Post by mevans »

rontilby wrote:When moving membership records out, if I enter an address formatted EXACTLY as the software expects (including zip+4), then the "Suggested format" is skipped AND the "Unit Where the Record(s) Are Moving" field is blank!! ... the "Unit Where the Record(s) Are Moving" on the "Choose Destination Unit" page is blank.
If I format the address a little differently, or omit the +4 part of the zip code then the new unit name is populated.
That's an interesting observation. I've seen it not suggest a new unit for a move out, but didn't connect that to entering an exact address. I'll have to pay more attention to what I do if I see that again.
kellymab wrote:I know when we had a couple of new zip codes created in my stake, the software had issues recognizing the new codes. If that is a newer area of Draper or a code change recently happened, the system might not recognize it until the next zip code push out by the USPS.
Typically, a business such as the church would subscribe to some type of address verification data service provided by a vendor who has a contract with the USPS. Where I work, our vendor provides quarterly address update files which we then load into our software. Some vendors may provide more frequent address information or direct-connect APIs. The quarterly update works for our needs; I don't know what type of service the church uses or how frequently it gets updates.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”