Setting up new primary classes for 2016

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
wendyhickman

Setting up new primary classes for 2016

Post by wendyhickman »

We have 130+ children, 16 classes (most are divided in half, but some into thirds), and 33 teachers in our primary. We are putting all 33 teacher binders (for 2016) together on Monday (which is quite a chore) and would like to print out class lists to put in those binders using the Leader and Clerk Resources . It is already going be quite a job to change all of the teachers and move the children (whom we remix every year) into their new classes online . I want to know: What will happen if I enter all of the information in before the end of the year? Is the system going to try and move them up again once we pass the new year and undo all of my work? Will the system move kids from 9A into 10A or just into one class which we'll have to divide again. I already tried to see if I could print "next quarter" rolls, but if there was any type of division in the group below, it just generates a blank sheet. Though it is very inconvenient, would it just be better to wait?
kristinaheiner

Re: Setting up new primary classes for 2016

Post by kristinaheiner »

I need to know this info as well. Please help!
wendyhickman

Post by wendyhickman »

I actually went ahead and made all of the changes ahead of time. We can now easily print the class lists and even the "next quarter" rolls. All of the children are showing as being "out of sequence" right now. But I think/hope that will just resolve itself at the year change. I will report back about what happens so that others can benefit from my experiment.
kristinaheiner

Post by kristinaheiner »

Yes, it's hard when there is really only so much time to get it done, huh?

Thanks for the info!
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

What you came up with is a rather ingenious approach. Because the Primary children are (almost) all in out-of-default class assignments, they shouldn't move at the beginning of the year. You have one child in Valiant 10B who is still assigned to the default class type. That child will be moved to Valiant 11A at the beginning of the year and is included on the Valiant 11A roll for next quarter.
wendyhickman

Post by wendyhickman »

Interesting. That child is supposed to be out of sequence - but I guess I've inadvertently moved her into sequence. I'll have to remember to go in and fix her placement after the new year.
wendyhickman

Post by wendyhickman »

As a side note - we have three children in out-of-sequence placements (most with significant disabilities and requests from parents for ability rather than age placement). I'm able to put them into their class (with the out-of-sequence label). However, whenever we print rolls, those children are always missing. We have to cross them out and write them into their correct class. We are able to print class lists with them just fine - just not the rolls. It would be nice if there was an over-ride.
brookeulrich

Post by brookeulrich »

Wendyhickman, we are in your same boat. We have over 150 in our Primary, and I've been trying to figure this out for over a month now. I'm going to try your approach and cross my fingers that scgallafent is correct and the kids won't move at the beginning of the year!
wendyhickman

Post by wendyhickman »

I just checked online to see if all of my work was retained at the year change. Everything stayed right where I put it! I did have to go and move the one child that was not "out of sequence" but was supposed to be. In the future, I will not hesitate to make changes before the end of the year!
kristinaheiner

Post by kristinaheiner »

Yes, we found that out as well. We tried your approach for only three kids to see if they "stayed" in the class that was assigned to them. They did and all the other children moved up to the next age group. Great to know it works either way, especially for end of this year as I believe this is a leap year therefore the 1st will be a Sunday.

This is a great system! It's so nice to be able to do it at home and only have the kids in the class print on the roll. (No more highlighting!) I also love how the system knows the kids that will enter nursery during the quarter, automatically adds them to the roll and blocks out the Sunday's before they are of age to enter nursery,

One thing I noted, however, is that it's probably best practice to be sure to "move" a teacher rather than "search" or "add" the teachers for the class. If the latter is performed, the system is "reissuing" a calling and setting a sustained date of the previous Sunday. (Then the teacher has the calling of "Primary Worker" twice. I would think that issuing callings and/or assigning callings is the responsibility of Bishopric, not the presidency members of the auxiliary.)

Thanks for all those that chimed in!

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”