Schedules Display Problem with the New Year?

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
mevans

Schedules Display Problem with the New Year?

Post by mevans »

I went to Lesson Schedules this morning and found that the next Sunday shown is January 6, as expected. However, I saw no content.

The list of classes shown at right with the checkboxes corresponded to the class selections from 2012. The area below the date shows nothing. If I click in the blank area, it updates and shows everything properly as expected.

However, if I don't click in the blank area, but go forward or backward using the week control, no content appears. One time I went backwards a week to 2012 and it showed *no* classes with checkboxes at all. Usually it does.

If I play around with it a bit, I can finally get it working properly. There are some flashes on pages, etc., and then a lot of blank content, but once I click somewhere with my mouse, it updates properly.

Once I have it working, if I go to a different page and come back, I can reliably reproduce the problem.

Just a guess...maybe things are getting confused because the next Sunday is in 2013 but the date today is still in 2012. Maybe come tomorrow everything will work properly. I'll see. It certainly has pretty strange behavior today.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Schedules Display Problem with the New Year?

Post by jdlessley »

I also witnessed something similar. There were differences in displayed information. However, the common display issue was no information for classes below the displayed date with the date navigation arrows. I got everything displayed correctly simply by clicking the left navigation arrow to go back one week to December 30, 2012, and then clicked the right arrow to go back to January 6, 2013.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Nor sure if this is related, but I set up several classes this morning and then logged in using my wife's account to see what the members might see... There is nothing available for 2013 unless you log in as an administrator. I''m hoping this will change tomorrow...
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

zaneclark wrote:There is nothing available for 2013 unless you log in as an administrator.
I just checked using my wife's credentials and her log in resulted in the same as my log in. She was able to view all 'active' classes.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mevans

Post by mevans »

It seems to be working for me today. I didn't get a chance to check it later on the 31st to see if it was still a problem.

Perhaps this is an edge case that needs to get added to the test cases for lesson schedules:
The year is currently YYYY but the next Sunday is in year YYYY+1. Make sure everything displays properly. The prep for this test is to start from some web page besides lesson schedules, such as start at lds.org and then go to lesson schedules. Then you see the problem.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Here we are starting a new year and the problem described in this post is back.

So...until 2014 starts, if you want to see the lessons for Sunday, January 5, you'll need to press the back arrow to go to the last Sunday in 2013 and then press the forward arrow again and you should see the lessons for Sunday, January 5 (provided you've checked the boxes on the right).
mevans

Post by mevans »

Just a reminder to everyone that this problem still exists. If you want to see 2015 lessons before 2015 arrives, you need to do the following:
  • Open Lesson Schedules; observe that there are no classes for Sunday, January 4, 2015.
  • Click the previous week button (NOT the back button on your browser) to move the schedule to Sunday, December 28, 2014
  • Click the next week button to move the schedule forward to Sunday, January 4, 2015; observe that now you'll see the 2015 schedule and will be able to check the boxes for the classes you want.
This problem will go away on January 1, 2015.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I assume this bug still exists. Be aware that it will probably happen. It should fix itself on January 1.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Thank you mevans for the work around to this problem. I set up the schedule, then used my wife's login to see what the members would see and was disappointed until I read your post. Two things now...this seems to NOT be a bug or they would have fixed it before now, and I'm assuming I can announce the Lesson Schedule for 2016 in my Newsletter this week, as long as it is after Jan 1.
mevans

Post by mevans »

zaneclark wrote:Two things now...this seems to NOT be a bug or they would have fixed it before now, and I'm assuming I can announce the Lesson Schedule for 2016 in my Newsletter this week, as long as it is after Jan 1.
It is a bug. It shouldn't behave the way it does. I don't know if they'll ever fix it, but they should. Lesson Schedules, along with some other tools, has not been touched in a while. You should be fine looking at the lesson schedule after January 1.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”