Tithing Declaration for members who have moved

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
joelrossc

Tithing Declaration for members who have moved

Post by joelrossc »

I'll preface this by saying that we are a new bishopric so I've probably missed something somewhere. We are trying to finish out tithing settlement. When I go to enter the tithing declarations, it still shows the names of nearly 50 members who have moved out of the ward or are deceased. I've doubled checked and their records are no longer in our ward. What do I do with these former members and their tithing status?

Thanks,
Joel
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Tithing Declaration for members who have moved

Post by russellhltn »

There should be a category for "no longer in ward".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
joelrossc

Post by joelrossc »

Where would I find that category? I don't see anything on the Tithing Declarations section.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What are the choices you can make?

Some of those names may need to be associated with membership records. I'm not sure if you can do that if they're no longer in the ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

joelrossc wrote:I've doubled checked and their records are no longer in our ward.
If you are certain that their actual membership records are no longer in your ward, you should not be able to declare their tithing status. There used to be a drop down selection "not a member of the ward" (or similar) that you could use.

I haven't been into that section of MLS is a while, so I do not know what is there this year.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If the selection is not there, then perhaps you have to change the donor's status.

eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I believe that the bishop is responsible to declare the status for all members of the ward as of the end of the year. It's possible that the list just hasn't been calculated and frozen since it isn't the end of the year yet. I'm not exactly sure how that works. I've never been directly involved with setting the declarations until this year.
joelrossc

Post by joelrossc »

russellhltn wrote:What are the choices you can make?

Some of those names may need to be associated with membership records. I'm not sure if you can do that if they're no longer in the ward.
My options are Undeclared, Full-Tithe, Part-Tithe, Non-Tithe, Exempt.
joelrossc

Post by joelrossc »

eblood66 wrote:I believe that the bishop is responsible to declare the status for all members of the ward as of the end of the year. It's possible that the list just hasn't been calculated and frozen since it isn't the end of the year yet. I'm not exactly sure how that works. I've never been directly involved with setting the declarations until this year.
I'm not sure either. We have had other records move out and the names were removed from the list. I can't figure out why some go and some stay.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

joelrossc wrote:I can't figure out why some go and some stay.
I'm guessing the ones that went were connected to a membership record. So once it moved out on the membership side, it knew not to show it to you on the finance side.

Sometimes new members will donate to a ward before their records arrive. In that case, a donor record is created, but not connected to the membership. No one thinks to connect them later.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”