Can we stop printing so much?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tubaloth

Can we stop printing so much?

Post by tubaloth »

I don't know of all the details that happen when membership record gets updated and all of that.

I just know we print a lot of updates for membership records and there seems to be a lot of white space on those papers.
Even more recently we get things that just say something like "Temple information has changed" something generic like that, but won't even say what changed or who.
I wasted a piece of paper for that?
In our ward we don't keep any ordinance records in any book. So we get a new member or an update record. It prints the little summary and the updated ordinance record for the membership clerk and the bishop. (at least 4 pages)
Our membership clerk is kind older and keeps everything that is printed (even summary papers that I don't think we need to keep). The bishop looks at them, might keep the summary paper around on his desk for a while but normal shreds everything.

I don't know if there a way to combine the summary record so all changes go on one page. Or some option to only print summary records. And can we do better on the generic print outs?
I just don't like wasting the Lords money on so much paper.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Can we stop printing so much?

Post by sbradshaw »

I always use the print preview to make sure it's not important, then I say No to the print dialog box. Luckily as things move to Leader and Clerk Resources these print popups are going away. I'm sure printouts were a lot more useful back in the day before you could have instant access to membership information online and in LDS Tools. :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

In addition to previewing each MLS request to print a record update I print the document to PDF if there is a need to save it for future review. Those PDF files are saved in a USB thumb drive and locked in the filing cabinet. It is purged of all PDF documents over one year old that are of no further use just before the annual membership audit. We have never found a need to make a paper printout of these record update print requests.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
1Poochh

Post by 1Poochh »

I agree, it is overwhelming how much we print. I have started to use cutepdf which will allow you to save the document in pdf format on the computer. Even with this work around, we don't need to print something for every phone number that changes.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

As a new ward clerk, I don't mind printing all the transaction reports, but I really see no need to print either IOS or full membership records. I have looked for a setting to toggle off the printing of those items, but found nothing. Paper is cheap, but toner is not.
Over the past 24 hours, I have used LCR to reformat every address in the ward, and I fear that MLS will try to reprint every membership record in the ward after the next Send/Receive.
I am tempted to change the default printer to CutePDF on the clerk's computer, but that is sure to mess everyone up, especially the finance clerk.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I have used LCR to reformat every address in the ward, and I fear that MLS will try to reprint every membership record in the ward after the next Send/Receive.
You might want to beat everyone else to the computer and run the send/receive and click "no" on all of the address updates.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Yeah, I am in the clerk's office now, and just finished clicking Cancel about 100 times.
Wow.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:just finished clicking Cancel about 100 times.
That is actually easier than defaulting to the CutePDF printer, because then you have to accept the file name and click print every time. And delete all the files.

I think you made the right decision.
dougj

Post by dougj »

I agree with the premise of this thread. I've clicked 'no' or 'cancel' more times than I can count.
tubaloth

Post by tubaloth »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I guess I wish there a was a way to know what was going to be printed BEFORE we click print or print preview. Even better if it showed me a list of the queue stuff to print and I select a check box of stuff I want to print. I did a send and receive and it was saying I had stuff updated, I just told it to print, it asked if I wanted to print one for the membership, I don't know what it is, so I click yes for 3 or 4 items. Come to find out a just a bunch of Temple Recommend updates. WHY? Ended up shredding all 6 or 8 pages.

The Print to PDF is a good idea, just on the finance side we need to print those items. Just have to keep changing the printer back and forth.

Return to “Membership Help”