Visibility for nonmember spouse

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
davidrichey

Visibility for nonmember spouse

Post by davidrichey »

A member recently requested that her membership be terminated and this was granted. She is showing up as a non-member spouse in the household of the husband (even though she is not living with him) in LDS Tools and the Directory on lds.org and now is demanding that her name not be published in LDS Tools. What needs to be done to the membership record of the husband (or any other means) to have her name not show up in LDS Tools?
eblood66

Re: Visibility for nonmember spouse

Post by eblood66 »

You need to contact Local Unit Support and ask them to suppress the marriage record in the Directory. This isn't something you can do in MLS or LCR.
davidrichey

Post by davidrichey »

Thank you.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

For what it's worth, we have a member in a very similar situation. They are separated and her husband does not live in our ward (though he does live in our stake). He recently had his membership record cancelled which tossed him from the ward he lives in back into our ward and onto her record as her spouse.

I pointed our Membership Clerk to the post above because she has asked the bishop to have this fixed. Our clerk spoke with someone in the church records department and they told him the only way her estranged husband could be removed from showing on her record was to record a divorce.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:I pointed our Membership Clerk to the post above because she has asked the bishop to have this fixed. Our clerk spoke with someone in the church records department and they told him the only way her estranged husband could be removed from showing on her record was to record a divorce.
Print out Directory Help FAQs: (emphasis added):
If you are only separated and do not want the spouse's name displayed, you and clerk will need to work with Church headquarters to have the record suppressed.
If the support person gives any push back, refer them to the FAQ (which is official, not community Wiki).

I don't know what happens on their end. In the past, I've gotten the impression it's a "pass this to the developer" thing and may not be in one of their screens. That certainly could explain why they might claim the can't do it on their end. Although I'd think by now someone would have made that option available to support.

They are correct in that to remove the ex from the record, you have to record a divorce. But we just want to suppress the unwanted listing in the directory where the rest of the ward sees it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Our membership clerk called me last night to inform me that SLC called him and sorted this out. My bishop was very impressed that this post generated positive action. Our Sister is in the middle of an ugly divorce (they are all "ugly" but you know what I mean) and him showing back on her record was not helping matters.

To whomever jumped in and helped us out, THANK YOU.

To everyone else, remember that the support personnel at Church Headquarters are great but not perfect either. If you feel you are not being helped, perhaps they can escalate you to someone who knows more about the problem. Her record still shows a marriage date and that she is married - that will remain until a divorce is recorded (as it should). However her estranged nonmember spouse is suppressed from showing which is a very good thing in our case.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”