MLS on Windows 10

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
darthcatcher5

MLS on Windows 10

Post by darthcatcher5 »

Hi, Does exist a MLS version that is compatible with windows 10 os? Our computer already has this os (w10) and the MLS software shows this message Unsupported operating system Windows NT unknown. Thanks.
Biggles

Re: MLS on Windows 10

Post by Biggles »

Not at the moment. The Church is looking to start rolling out W10 in the middle of next year for Church employees, support services etc.. When that has completed successfully, I imagine it will then be rolled out to the Clerk computers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

darthcatcher5 wrote:Our computer already has this os (w10)
That's odd. Unless something changed, Windows 10 is not authorized for clerk computers. It shouldn't have come from the church that way. Units are not authorized to buy clerk computers or accept donations.

I can only assume that someone accepted Microsoft's offer to update. I'd highly suggest you reverse that - or backup the data and re-install the image.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Post by pgm44 »

We (here in the Philippines) in our ward still have Windows 8 and MLS is not compatible with that version. We have now to install Windows 7 to continue use MLS.
pricek

Post by pricek »

Microsoft will now force Windows 7 computers to upgrade to Windows 10. The only way to stop it is to turn off all automatic updates.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

pricek wrote:Microsoft will now force Windows 7 computers to upgrade to Windows 10. The only way to stop it is to turn off all automatic updates.
I'm pretty sure that the church controls what updates are made available to clerk computers (basically they point the clerk computers to their own update server). This is common practice for enterprise users. As such they can control whether Windows 10 is available via automatic update.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

eblood66 wrote:
pricek wrote:Microsoft will now force Windows 7 computers to upgrade to Windows 10. The only way to stop it is to turn off all automatic updates.
I'm pretty sure that the church controls what updates are made available to clerk computers (basically they point the clerk computers to their own update server). This is common practice for enterprise users. As such they can control whether Windows 10 is available via automatic update.
This is one of the purposes of the IBM Endpoint Manager (IEM) installed on Clerk computers.
pricek

Post by pricek »

Pretty sure? So you don't know. We don't have IBM Endpoint Manager on our computer. I do know that our unit computer downloads automatically and ask to be install when we boot Sunday morning. I was just trying to raise a warning flag to whoever may being supporting unit or church wide computers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:I'm pretty sure that the church controls what updates are made available to clerk computers (basically they point the clerk computers to their own update server).
They certainly do that with newer installs of Win7, but I'm not sure as they're doing that with the first setups. And I need to bug them about it - they haven't been supporting all of MS's essential updates. Most of my Win7's are still on IE10 - and MS is dropping support for that next month.

And while MS is really pushing Win10 upgrades, it is NOT mandatory. However, I would have concerns that someone might accept the invite.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

pricek wrote:Pretty sure? So you don't know. We don't have IBM Endpoint Manager on our computer. I do know that our unit computer downloads automatically and ask to be install when we boot Sunday morning. I was just trying to raise a warning flag to whoever may being supporting unit or church wide computers.
Endpoint Manager is supposed to be installed. If it isn't installed you (or the STS) should install it as instructed here: https://www.lds.org/help/support/deskto ... e?lang=eng

That page indicates that the church does manage updates via Endpoint Manager.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”