Non member child blessing

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
zaneclark

Non member child blessing

Post by zaneclark »

We had a baby blessed today whose mother is not a member and does not live in the ward, but the grandmother is a member, lives in our ward, and requested the blessing.... I can create a record for the baby, but then what do I do with it?
drepouille

Re: Non member child blessing

Post by drepouille »

Which ward will the child be attending, if any?
Did the mother sign the blessing form? This gives the Church permission to keep personal data about the child.
Does the grandmother understand that the blessing is not a necessary, saving ordinance?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

This creates something of a dilemma. I couldn't find what permissions are required to have a blessing. As for creating a record, Handbook 1 says it should be done for children who are blessed - no mention of permissions required. Generally the record should be in the ward that covers that address.

But creating the record is going to create ongoing issues of keeping track of the child. Not unless you can covert one of the parents.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Handbook 2, 20.2, addresses the naming and blessing of children. There is no mention of anyone other than parents or guardians there. Handbook 1, 16.2, provides more detailed instruction. Section 16.2.4 specifically addresses naming and blessing of children when at least one parent is not a member and the permission required from them.

Assuming both parents have given verbal approval as required in HB 1, 16.2, then the child becomes a member of record after the membership record is created. The membership record for a member of record should be in the ward in which they physically reside (see HB 1, 13.6). First Presidency approval is required for exceptions.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
danhurwitz

Post by danhurwitz »

I got this answer from the membership support group:
If either or both parents are nonmembers, then a verbal permission is needed as well. In this case, the blessing may be done but you do not have to create a record. A child blessing is not a recorded ordinance therefore its an option to have a record but with the parents consent as well.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I think that there's no reason to create a record for a child of no members parents.
If this would be possible (I don't know for what reason non member parents wish their child be LDS Church member) then even homosexual parents could ask for it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danhurwitz wrote:In this case, the blessing may be done but you do not have to create a record.
Checking Handbook 1:13.6.2, it uses the word "should". So there does appear to be wiggle room to follow this advice.

danhurwitz wrote:A child blessing is not a recorded ordinance therefore its an option to have a record but with the parents consent as well.
While MLS has a place to record it, it's not sent to CHQ, nor is it kept if the record is ever transferred. The only long-term record is the paper certificate itself.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”