Transfer funds from Other to Budget

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dastucki

Transfer funds from Other to Budget

Post by dastucki »

We have a unit that was merged with our ward. We received a check from the Stake to supplement our budget for this unit. The check was deposited into our bank account using the Other category on the Donation slip. We now need to clear out our Other account and move this to the Budget. Can anyone recommend how this is done?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Transfer funds from Other to Budget

Post by jdlessley »

Funds cannot be transferred from the Other category into Budget. In this case the error occurred with the entry on the Tithes and Other offerings slip. You can correct the error by filling out a replacement Tithes and Other Offerings slip with the funds specified to the Budget. In MLS you can then adjust the donation batch by changing the donation category from Other to Budget. This will in effect transfer the funds from Other to Budget.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dastucki

Post by dastucki »

Thanks, but I'm still new at this - want to make sure I get this right. The funds are now in the Other category. You mentioned I can correct by filling out a replacement slip. When I fill out a new Donation slip, how do I specify the funds are for budget since there is no Budget category on the donation slip - and there is no amount since the funds have already been deposited. Thanks.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

dastucki wrote:Thanks, but I'm still new at this - want to make sure I get this right. The funds are now in the Other category. You mentioned I can correct by filling out a replacement slip. When I fill out a new Donation slip, how do I specify the funds are for budget since there is no Budget category on the donation slip - and there is no amount since the funds have already been deposited. Thanks.
The new slip is just for your records. You cross out Other and write in Budget. You then staple the new slip next to the old one with a note describing the correction. Alternatively, you could just cross out the original entry on the original slip and write in the correction and include a note about why and then sign the correction. The main point is to have a paper record of the correction and the reason.

You don't enter this slip as a new donation. Instead you find the original donation using View/Update Donations and change the category to Budget:Budget Allocation. It will ask for a reason for the change and then offer to reprint the donation report. Print the revised donation report and file it with the original donation batch.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”