young man advancing in the priesthood

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
longc

young man advancing in the priesthood

Post by longc »

I have a young man on probation through the court systems (Civil). He is doing well and following all that he has been asked to do.

He has come up for advancement in the priesthood.

Is there any reason he could not be advanced from a teacher to a priest??
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: young man advancing in the priesthood

Post by russellhltn »

Maybe juvenile court is different, but I didn't think civil court could hand out probation.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The only instruction I could find in Handbook 2 is in section 20.7:
Worthy brethren should be ordained at the following minimum ages: ...
Unless there are further directions elsewhere, it looks like the only condition is that he be worthy.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

A bishop should first refer to the guidance provided in the Handbook. Not finding the guidance there he can seek council with the stake president.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
longc

Post by longc »

The bishop and I have scoured the handbook. We have found no guidance concerning Civil or juvenile court.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

longc wrote:The bishop and I have scoured the handbook. We have found no guidance concerning Civil or juvenile court.
With regard to ordination to an office in the Aaronic Priesthood, there will be no such guidance.

Handbook 1, Chapter 7 will provide the bishop interviewing guidance, and the stake president will be able to answer any questions the bishop has concerning the particular situation. But as sbradshaw said, the only real requirement is worthiness.

Handbook 1, 7.1.7 provides excellent interview guidance to the bishop. And the bishop holds the keys and is the common judge in Israel and is able to make a determination of worthiness.

Return to “General Discussions”