tax deduction eligibility?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
lomondview

tax deduction eligibility?

Post by lomondview »

A sister in Ward A donated some furniture and other items to a sister in Ward B. Sister in Ward A has requested a receipt for her donations which she wants to use as a tax deduction. Is this possible?
eblood66

Re: tax deduction eligibility?

Post by eblood66 »

I don't see how the church could give a receipt for something that wasn't donated to the church.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Several years ago a ward member said they wanted to donate a car to a needy person in a nearby city and get some sort of receipt from the ward for tax purposes. I knew of no way for the ward to be officially involved in such a transaction. So I can't think of any way the answer could be anything other than a flat "no."
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

She should consult with a tax attorney, church members are not where you get this information, regardless of what we think we may know about a situation.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I agree that if the church wasn't the intermediary, I don't see how they can issue a receipt. Can it still be deducted? Consult a CPA or tax attorney.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rsidwell

Post by rsidwell »

In the United States, contributions made to a specific individual are not tax deductible. (I'm not an attorney, but the IRS website should be trustworthy on such matters and is pretty clear; see https://www.irs.gov/uac/Eight-Tips-for- ... tributions).
lomondview

Post by lomondview »

Thanks all.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”