membership info for excommunicated members

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
travisjensen55

membership info for excommunicated members

Post by travisjensen55 »

We have a person who is attending our ward and in the process of trying to get membership back. He has asked if I can find his marriage date (day, year) as well as the date when his daughter was blessed. Since we don't have his records in our ward, is there any way for me to help him find this information?
eblood66

Re: membership info for excommunicated members

Post by eblood66 »

The bishop might be able to call GSC to get the marriage date but I don't know if they would give it out or not. I do find it very odd that he doesn't know his own marriage date. But marriage records in the US are generally public records so it may be easier (and possibly more appropriate) to use a public records company to find it (although that would cost a couple dollars). If you're outside the US that may not be an option.

Blessing information is not preserved on church records. It gets saved temporarily in MLS when the blessing is recorded in order to help print the certificate. But it never gets transmitted to CHQ and as soon as the child's record is moved it gets lost entirely.
travisjensen55

Post by travisjensen55 »

Turns out he is looking for this info because he is taking our ward's family history Sunday School class and apparently (I have no family history experience) the system asks for those pieces of information. Maybe I'll just tell him he'll have to search his own records/files or try Google searching his marriage date. Google isn't going to help with the blessing date.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In family history, a blessing date is frequently used as a substitute for a birth date. (Sometimes there are no birth records, but the churches have recorded the blessing/baptism of the child.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

eblood66 wrote:Blessing information is not preserved on church records. It gets saved temporarily in MLS when the blessing is recorded in order to help print the certificate. But it never gets transmitted to CHQ and as soon as the child's record is moved it gets lost entirely.
A membership record is created for a child of record. It's a real membership record, but doesn't show any ordinances. I home teach someone whose child is in that situation. There can be a membership record, even without baptism.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

mevans wrote:
eblood66 wrote:Blessing information is not preserved on church records. It gets saved temporarily in MLS when the blessing is recorded in order to help print the certificate. But it never gets transmitted to CHQ and as soon as the child's record is moved it gets lost entirely.
A membership record is created for a child of record. It's a real membership record, but doesn't show any ordinances. I home teach someone whose child is in that situation. There can be a membership record, even without baptism.
I never claimed otherwise. I was only talking about the record of the blessing, not the membership record. The OP wanted the blessing date which isn't preserved on the membership record.
mevans

Post by mevans »

eblood66 wrote:
mevans wrote:
I never claimed otherwise. I was only talking about the record of the blessing, not the membership record. The OP wanted the blessing date which isn't preserved on the membership record.
Thanks for the clarification. I re-read your statement and agree with it. My brain was thinking you meant the church record wasn't created, but that's not what you said.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”