Video in gospel library

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
bethl

Video in gospel library

Post by bethl »

I have a kindle fire. Until last week I was able to download the videos in the Gospel library app "Come Follow Me" to use offline on Sundays. The wifi in our building isn't great so can't stream. However last week and today when I tried to download the video for the lesson it took me back to the contents page for November. I finally got the video to download after several tries but now when I go to play it it goes to a black screen then jumps back to the lesson or out to the contents page again. Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?
Thanks in advance.
bethl

Re: Video in gospel library

Post by bethl »

I am still experiencing problems. I can get the video to download- however when I tap the play video it takes me back to the lesson or to the main page of the manual.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

If you can tell me which lesson and which video (if there's more than one), I can try the video to see if it's the video/app or something unique to you (or at least not common to everyone). To me it kinda sounds like the library is corrupt and you may need to do one of these extremes:

0) If you haven't done it recently, power-cycle the device (actually power down, don't just tap the power button to turn the screen off; and leave it off for at least 30 seconds before turning it back on).

1) Use the Android app manager to clear the cache for the app (and power cycle after that - IMO)

2) Use the Android app manager to clear data, then power-cycle and re-download (everything, not just videos, but the whole library and all your annotations)

3) Uninstall the whole thing, make sure the data was removed, power cycle, reinstall, re-download

I recently had to clear data on both of my Android devices and start over because it was doing wiggy things (I was subscribed to the whole library, but links didn't recognize that the target content had already been downloaded).

FWIW,

Liz
bethl

Post by bethl »

Liz,
Thank you for your suggestions.
Lessons: Come Follow Me Sunday School for November and December- all videos.

0) I don't leave my device on, I always turn it off after I am finished with what ever I am doing.
1) not sure what an app manager is- so wouldn't know how to use it.--So if you could explain where to find that I will try it. (I have a Kindle Fire)
2) I contacted Tech directly and they were able to recreate the problem and have "forwarded it to the development team for further investigation."

In the mean time I am able to either use the Come Follow Me DVD and a laptop or download the video from the lds.org and save it to a flash-drive to use.
I just started using the in app videos a few months ago for the lessons and was really beginning to enjoy the ease of using them in the lesson.
But I've got no problem going back to "old school" style. :-)
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

1) Settings (if it's not on the tablet's main page, it will be in the app drawer which is usually represented by an icon of four boxes by four boxes,positioned in the center at the bottom of the screen). The Settings icon usually looks like a gear. From there, scroll through the options on the left until you see Application Manager. Pick that, then on the right scroll through the applications until you find Gospel Library, and tap on that. In there will be buttons for "Clear Data" (will wipe out the entire library content and require re-downloading) and "Clear Cache" - I'm not 100% certain what this clears, but it's not the library or annotations - maybe just your settings, so you'd have to re-enter your login name and set up your preferences again. (Clearing data clears the cache too.)

2) Well, that's pretty much your answer. It must be device-specific, cuz I teach youth Sunday School and have used November videos and can get at December videos.

Yes, I was about to suggest downloading them on a computer, or someone else's tablet. :) Hopefully they'll get the problem fixed soon. If you haven't sent a bug report via your install of GL (Help > Feedback), it might actually help them fix it cuz it sends them technical details about your device and OS version...

FWIW,

Liz
bethl

Post by bethl »

Thank you for your assistance.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”