Beta LDS.org Maps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Beta LDS.org Maps

Post by sbradshaw »

One of the LDSTech Conference presentations talked about improvements coming to LDS.org Maps. Current beta (alpha?) versions of what they demoed are available here:
https://beta.lds.org/maps/

(The presentation is available here: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php?tit ... on_streams )
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Re: Beta LDS.org Maps

Post by mevans »

It looks nice. I noticed some things:
  • I don't see where the new map shows whether or not a location is verified.
  • If I zoom out and look at all the dots in my stake and click on a dot, it shows me the person, but the details don't include the unit name of which the person/family is a member. The current map doesn't do that, either, but this would be very valuable information, especially when you consider that we have a language unit and a singles unit.
The developers came up with an interesting use of all the new picture boxes that Google maps can show at the bottom of the map. I like that it shows a picture o the house if it's available, as well as family member pictures. In general, I've found that new picture feature in Google Maps to be quite annoying. I'm using Google Maps to look at maps and the new maps likes to cover your screen with all sorts of annoying things (and they got rid of all kinds of useful features). But I kind of like what the LDS.org team did with what was made available to them.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I think in the presentation they said that they were doing away with the "verified" status. I don't remember if they said why.
You should definitely send your second bullet point as feedback.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Do we submit feedback on beta maps through the normal Feedback link, or is there somewhere else we should use for beta?

As much as I'd love to watch a bunch of the LDS Tech presentations, reality is that I will probably never have the time. It's unfortunate that they'd get id of "verified." it doesn't make a lot of sense. We use that to figure out whose location we need to verify.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I guess through the normal feedback link, since there's no link on the beta maps page.
DWMoore46

Post by DWMoore46 »

There are a number of apartment building addresses in my Stake (West Jordan Utah Westbrook) that have incorrect residence Wards assigned. What do I need to do as Stake Clerk to get these corrected? I have the building addresses and correct residence Ward information already determined.
jirp

Post by jirp »

Actually there is a feedback link on the Beta maps. Click the question mark icon in the lower right corner and in that menu is a feedback link.
jirp

Post by jirp »

jirp wrote:Actually there is a feedback link on the Beta maps. Click the question mark icon in the lower right corner and in that menu is a feedback link.

Just tried to use it and the link there does NOT work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

You can use the regular feedback. Just tell them you're commenting about beta maps.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”