Online tithing not showing up on yearend tithing statement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bgerth

Online tithing not showing up on yearend tithing statement

Post by bgerth »

I was just getting ready for tithing settlement and I printed my own tithing statement. I noticed that there were no entries past September. None of my contributions have showed up since I began paying online. The monthly statements show the amounts, but not my yearly total. Anyone else have this problem?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Online tithing not showing up on yearend tithing statement

Post by jdlessley »

There is a PDF file in MLS in Finance > Financial Statements sent down from headquarters with all donations made to other units for the year to the date of the file. I believe the date of the file is 3 November. This is in addition to the standard tithing settlement statement found in the Tithing Settlement menu item for those donations made to your current unit. Those who have made donations online can go online and view all their donations there. The online tool will show all donations to date.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:There is a PDF file in MLS in Finance > Financial Statements sent down from headquarters with all donations made to other units for the year to the date of the file. I believe the date of the file is 3 November.
From what I can tell this PDF does not include anyone who has made any online donations. Probably they assume anyone who has made online donations can get a better, more up-to-date copy there.
bgerth wrote:I was just getting ready for tithing settlement and I printed my own tithing statement. I noticed that there were no entries past September. None of my contributions have showed up since I began paying online. The monthly statements show the amounts, but not my yearly total. Anyone else have this problem?
No one I've talked to during tithing settlement has mentioned anything like that. I'd suggest looking in MLS to see if you can find any of the online donations and see if they are tied to a different donor record. Maybe your non-online donations are tied to a record that isn't tied to your membership record. Also, are you sure that your LDS Account is correctly tied to your membership number (you can check by going to https://ldsaccount.lds.org)?
dchadcluff

Post by dchadcluff »

We have experienced this with a small number of users in our ward, found during tithing settlement. The donations do not appear on the PDF of donations made to other wards and my suspicion is that the LDS.org account that member is paying tithing on is not correctly tied to the membership account. I will attempt to do further investigation to determine for sure what is happening.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dchadcluff wrote:The donations do not appear on the PDF of donations made to other wards
That's not where I'd expect to see them, unless they belonged to another ward when they made the donation. Check the ward's records.

It's certainly possible that they donated under a different name/MRN - perhaps that of the spouse.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Online donations do appear in the Member's Donation Reports for our Ward. The reason I know is my bishop reported the last 3 of his were missing from his donation report. When we looked at his wife's donation report they were listed there (she entered the donations for the family online those months).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I suppose a footnote is in order - when a member donates on-line, the donations go to whatever ward their records happen to be in at the moment. So, if a member moves, their on-line donations can be spread across more than one ward. However, the whole thing should be available to the member on-line from all the wards - assuming the donation was properly attributed to the right MRN.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dchadcluff

Post by dchadcluff »

russellhltn wrote:
dchadcluff wrote:The donations do not appear on the PDF of donations made to other wards
That's not where I'd expect to see them, unless they belonged to another ward when they made the donation. Check the ward's records.

It's certainly possible that they donated under a different name/MRN - perhaps that of the spouse.
Correct, the member in question has been a long time member of the ward (more than 2015), the donations were made under his LDS.org account, not his spouse, but do not show up in the Ward generated Tithing Settlement sheet. I haven't yet been able to confirm, but I'm guessing that his LDS.org account isn't properly connected to his membership record number to show he is in this ward.
osborna

Post by osborna »

I got married about 6 months ago and none of my tithing payments before August show up online. I am not sure if my getting married is why I have run into this problem or if I happened to start paying tithing online at about the same time. Those tithing payments would not be under my husband's name because we were not married at the time and wouldn't have been paying tithing together or accidentally mixing up accounts.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

osborna wrote:I got married about 6 months ago and none of my tithing payments before August show up online.
In order for those payments to show up on-line, the donation has to be credited to your Membership Number (MRN). Most likely, the ward you donated to did not associate your donations. They may have credited it to your name, but the donor record wasn't connected to your membership number.

You'll need to contact that ward to get your tax statement and/or get your donations credited to your MRN.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”