MLS can not be installed.

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

MLS can not be installed.

Post by pgm44 »

Last week we got a new brand new CPU for our clerk-office. When we started the person from the FM-group removed the MLS program that came with the CPU and was installed by the HQ management (i think) After he removed that MLS he started to download the latest version of MLS. When that was done we could not find the installer. Then I tried it to do by myself and after many tries I had the install file but when I clicked to install the was a message with what program I should use for to install. But what I tried it didn't work. I read all the instructions about the download and install MLS but we still have nothing.

Any help is welcome.

Read it later.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: MLS can not be installed.

Post by russellhltn »

What was the name of the resulting file?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pgm44

Post by pgm44 »

MLS%20 Installer 11/25/2015 89,172 KB

If I click to install I get a pop-up menu

How do you want to open this file?

Adobe Reader
Internet Explorer
Movie Maker
Notepad
Paint
Photo Gallery
Picasa Photo Viewer
Windows Media Player
Windows Photo Viewer
Wordpad

Look for another APP on this PC

Our windows version is Windows 8.1 pro
Biggles

Re: Wireless Survey of church building with Netspot

Post by Biggles »

pgm44 wrote:
Our windows version is Windows 8.1 pro
And there lies the probable cause.

At the moment, MLS as far as I'm aware, is only designed to only work with Windows XP or Windows 7 Professional. There are probably ways to fool MLS into installing on to other Windows versions, but they aren't supported at the moment!
pgm44

Post by pgm44 »

I see,

Thank you
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Someone else said they had to rename the file to add the .EXE extension. It sounds like your downloaded file is lacking the extension that allows Windows to recognize it as a executable.

But as mentioned, I don't think Win 8.1 is supported as a Clerk computer. Sounds like FM messed up the computer by re-imaging/restoring it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:Someone else said they had to rename the file to add the .EXE extension. It sounds like your downloaded file is lacking the extension that allows Windows to recognize it as a executable.
I can't say I've ever had to rename the MLS downloaded executable.

Family Search applications, well that's a different matter :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I downloaded the file as a test and I didn't have a problem. But when Windows asks you what to use to open a file - that's a strong indication that either it doesn't have an extension or it's one it doesn't have the program to open it. If you right-click download at the wrong spot, I think you'd end up with a .htm file which should open in a browser.

pgm44

Post by pgm44 »

russellhltn wrote:
Someone else said they had to rename the file to add the .EXE extension. It sounds like your downloaded file is lacking the extension that allows Windows to recognize it as a executable.
What I did after reading this. I put the EXE extension after the download file MLS20%Installer. It look like this MLS20%Installer.exe and tried to install the file. In less then 10 minutes It was installed in WINDOWS 8.1

Thanks for all the help.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”