Font?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
zaneclark

Font?

Post by zaneclark »

Does anyone know the name of the font used in the official logo of the church?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Font?

Post by russellhltn »

Unobtainium ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Hah! I think it is Palitino.....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:Hah! I think it is Palitino.....
It's definitely not Palatino (although I'm pretty sure that Palatino is used in many Church publications -- but not the logo).

It's not hard to search for various opinions on what the font is, but I think it's quite clear that it is a custom typeface. Although it is similar to some others (HTF Requiem and Trajan are commonly cited as being quite similar), the Church apparently wanted a distinct typeface. It's generally referred to as "Deseret" or "HTF Deseret" (the HTF is for "Hoefler Type Foundry," the designer of the custom typeface).

See these articles/posts: There's nothing wrong with curiosity about the font, but anyone reading this should be quite clear on the fact that Church policy does not allow anyone to attempt to mimic the logo: see Handbook 2, 21.1.10.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I am working on a missionary photo board for the stake, with the caption "Called to Serve" and wanted to use the same or similar font used for the church logo..... And it looks like Trajan will do it.... Thank you!
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

After a moderator/administrator discussion, it has been decided to lock this thread/topic. Handbook 2, 21.1.10 instructs that local units and individuals should not imitate or duplicate the official Church logotype. For more information, please see here:

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2 ... ng#21.1.10

Return to “General Discussions”