Feature Request: Automatically add default Area Code

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
bweight

Feature Request: Automatically add default Area Code

Post by bweight »

I'm not sure where to put feature requests. If there is a better place, let me know and I will move it.

I would really like to see this feature implemented. I think it is relatively straight forward but it would make a world of difference.

My cell phone has a number in an area code located in another state (from when I used to live there). Because of this, I have to enter the local area code for all outgoing calls to local numbers. If I don't then it tries to call the 7 digit number using my old area code.

This becomes a big problem when membership records only have a 7 digit number instead of a 10 digit number. I can't complete calls or send texts to these individuals. My clerk has the same problem so he has been updating all of the records to include the zip code.

However, I think it would be fairly straight forward to allow the user to set a default area code (the local code). Then when making a call or send a text, add the default area code for any number that only has 7 digits.

Any thoughts on this?

It sure would make things easier to use....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Feature Request: Automatically add default Area Code

Post by aebrown »

First of all, there are plenty of good reasons to discuss your suggestion here, but if you want feedback on LDS Tools to get to the right people, you should use the Feedback option in the app itself (on the Help menu).

As for your request, I suppose it could help, but I really think the solution is what you have indicated you are already doing: talk to your ward clerk and request that he add the area code to every phone number in your ward. These days, 10-digit dialing is becoming a more common requirement (it certainly is in my area), and it's quite common for people to keep their phone numbers as they move into a ward from a different area code. Furthermore, phone numbers on membership records might be seen by people in other areas (for example, a bishop or stake executive secretary, etc. might need to be called by someone from another state. If their phone numbers are only 7 digits, people will not know how to reach them.

If all the phone numbers have 10 digits, there would be no need for your proposed LDS Tools feature.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

While a case can be made for 10-digit numbers; for readability, I prefer that they stay 7-digit unless they are out of area. That draws attention to the fact they are in a different area code and to not assume it is local.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bweight

Post by bweight »

I'm not proposing the default area code is appended to all numbers in all views.

Just when the number is sent to texting and phone applications so that those numbers can be properly dialed or messaged.

This feature is great for those that live in an area with a single area code. if you live in an area with mixed area codes, then it is most likely that all your numbers already have 10 digits as everyone has to include the area code anyway.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, I see it as a useful feature.

However, when and if such an enhancement will be made is unknown. So in the meantime, updating the ward to 10-digit is the quickest way to solve the problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:While a case can be made for 10-digit numbers; for readability, I prefer that they stay 7-digit unless they are out of area. That draws attention to the fact they are in a different area code and to not assume it is local.
I haven't lived in an area with 7-digit phone numbers in years. In many cities, every phone call, including local calls, is a 10-digit event. And even though it is a local call, the wrong area code will connect you to the wrong number.

I miss the 4-digit phone number days when I was dating.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Our area switched to 10-digit dialling a few years ago. I miss the fewer numbers when we were on 7-digit, but with more and more people taking their numbers with them when they move, our phone list is a hodge-podge of different area codes anyway.

Time to move on...

Return to “Android Member Tools App”