Member Financed Youth fundraiser issue

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
revs

Member Financed Youth fundraiser issue

Post by revs »

Hello,

We had our annual youth fundraiser and the funds were put into the other member financed youth fundraiser account. We have paid the expenses from the YM and YW budgets and they are now over budget. How do I transfer the funds from the member financed activities into the YM/YW budgets? I guess we should have written checks from the other - member financed youth fundraiser budget to the YM/YW leaders to begin with, but we didn't. Any idea how to fix this now?

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Member Financed Youth fundraiser issue

Post by aebrown »

revs wrote:I guess we should have written checks from the other - member financed youth fundraiser budget to the YM/YW leaders to begin with, but we didn't. Any idea how to fix this now?
You can edit the expenses that you say should have been written against the Other category and change their category from Budget to the appropriate subcategory of Other:AMFA. That will have the net effect of transferring funds from Other to Budget, but will have the added benefit of providing a good audit trail so that the expenses will then be directly connected to the desired Other subcategory.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Transferring funds from "Other" to budget has the appearance of not following policy. It would appear that you've done fund raising to increase your budget. By shifting the check's category as listed above, you avoid that appearance and keep the books clean.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Just to be clear (and to back up the previous replies)... Perhaps we don't all realize that it's possible to edit an expense after checks have been printed and even after those checks have been cashed. This is the best way to correct the situation described by revs in the original post. The change will be reflected in the MLS reports. So, rather than create a transfer to try to make things right, just correct the original expense to whatever it was supposed to be in the first place. It's actually very simple and easy. It will be as if the budget funds were never used and the "other" funds were used instead.
revs

Post by revs »

Thanks... Now I just need to figure out how to do that.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I'm not in front of MLS right now, but you go into the View/Change expenses section, click on the Check Number you want to re-categorize. Click on the Category and change it. Save the expense (you will receive a popup that asks you to give a reason for the change). Transmit.

You can change all the expenses and then transmit everything in one batch if you want. You might give some thought for the wording to use for the change and then list all of them the same. I think there is a limit to the text you can put in for the reason, but it is big enough for everything I have done.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”