Aspect Ratio Issues: EVI-D70 to VidiU

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
CalS201

Aspect Ratio Issues: EVI-D70 to VidiU

Post by CalS201 »

Our EVI-D70 cameras output video in 4:3 aspect ratio. The MonoPrice SD to HDMI Converter(Church HQ recommended) stretchs the video to 16:9 and converts it to HDMI for the VidiU Encoder. When the webcast video is viewed at a remote bldg via a laptop & projector, will everyone appear short and wide(16:9) or will they magically appear normal (4:3) ? Would like to learn from those of you who have used 4:3 cameras with the VidiU !
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Aspect Ratio Issues: EVI-D70 to VidiU

Post by Mikerowaved »

I don't have direct experience with the VidiU box, but I do with the anamorphic aspect on your video. It will most likely be webcast exactly as is. However, most modern projectors and HDTV's have a setting that will compensate for this, putting the image back into 4:3 with black bars on either side. Unfortunately, if this is webcast to shut-ins, they will see a distorted image unless they know how to compensate for it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't recall seeing any complaints about how it turns out. So whatever it does, it works.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lpuster

Post by lpuster »

We have an EVI-D70 camera. We need a video converter. Which to choose? The Monoprice or the Startech? Would someone who has experience with either or both of these please comment.

I do not want video to be stretched horizontally, I want the viewers to see blank bars to either side if they are using HD receiving equipment and full screen if they are using SD receiving equipment. The Startech has a switch to select resolutions, does this solve the problem? The Monoprice unit has no resolution switch, how does it perform? What resolution does the Webcast Portal provide? Does it have an HD/SD switch? Surly someone has set up a broadcast and knows these answers! Without your help, I would have to purchase both units to discover these things for myself.

We have been using the Webcast Communicator with the recommend attenuator in the audio line from the PA system. Isn't it likely that we already have an adequate level to drive the audio input to the VidiU or the video converter and won't need an additional amplifier?

I thought by now there would be many posts covering all these questions and more, but if there are, I have not found them. Please help me.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

The best converter that salt lake offers is the Newest to the line up and FM can order it to save some money

Atlona AT-HD120, I have used it and the picture is nice.

When viewed in the receiving chapel on a 4.3 projector all will look normal, if viewed on a TV it may look condensed.
Roland
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Also for best results, convert as little as possible, set the converter to output at 720 / 30 FPS
Roland

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”