Name was removed

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Athomas1234

Name was removed

Post by Athomas1234 »

I requested about 12 to 15 years ago to have my records transferred to my childhood ward. I was inactive for quite sometime and started back to church in my childhood ward because of caring and staying with my mother who has cancer. I was told by the bishop that myself and my husbands name was removed!! How is that possible??? Thanks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Name was removed

Post by lajackson »

Athomas1234 wrote:I was told by the bishop that myself and my husbands name was removed!! How is that possible??? Thanks.
Is it possible that your husband requested it? If not, and if you have never signed a letter requesting it, you may wish to advise your bishop of that fact and have him refer the matter through your stake president to the Membership Department. They are the only ones who will be able to resolve this matter for you.
Athomas1234

Post by Athomas1234 »

No never signed any letter and husband didn't request it. I haven't heard back yet from my Bishop about it yet. I know these things take time so I will just be patient. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Athomas1234 wrote:I requested about 12 to 15 years ago to have my records transferred to my childhood ward. I was inactive for quite sometime and started back to church in my childhood ward because of caring and staying with my mother who has cancer. I was told by the bishop that myself and my husbands name was removed!! How is that possible??? Thanks.
If everyone is following policy, there are three ways a name could be removed:
  • An unbaptized "child of record" may be removed with permission of the stake president after the person reaches 18.
  • As a result of transgression and church discipline.
  • By written request
There's a possibility of miscommunication, including what actually happened to your records. The clerk should be able to call CHQ and find out for sure what the status is and how it got that way.

Note that generally one doesn't have a choice of what ward has the records. It belongs in the ward whose boundaries you live in. There are exceptions for singles and people with language needs. Other exceptions require First Presidency approval.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It's possible that by "removed" he meant they were moved to a different ward or to the Church headquarters file for records with an unknown address.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Athomas1234

Post by Athomas1234 »

They phoned Salt Lake and was informed that our names were removed and our information was sent to our stake president after the request for our records.They have always known where we live so I know that isn't the case. The Ward I belong in is the ones that removed our names. It doesn't make any sense to me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It doesn't make much sense to me either. Sometimes people make up their own procedures. I can't say that's never happened.

One of the things we're not is the church of the perfect leaders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”