Wrong donation amount

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jdbrown36

Wrong donation amount

Post by jdbrown36 »

There is a donation on my account dated 21 Jun 2015 in the amount of $505, This is not mine. I didn't make a donation on that date for that amount. I talked to the Financial Clerk and he said since the donation slip has my name on it it must be mine. My donations were maid by using the check paying from Zions Bank, therefore the clerk had to make out the donation slip. I think that they must have received an donation from a bank and put the wrong name on the donation slip. I did make a donation on that date in the amount of $260 with a check from Zions Bank bill paying program. Pleas let me know what I should do to correct this. Thanks

Jay Dean Brown
Membership # xxx-xxxx-xxxx

Moderator note: MRN redacted. Posts in the Forum are public and visible to anyone worldwide.
Last edited by jdlessley on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: redacted membership number
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Wrong donation amount

Post by jdlessley »

This thread was split from the "LDS Account Support and Help" thread because the topics are different. Also this thread was moved to the more appropriate forum for membership donation finances. Please follow the Code of Conduct and "Do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread."
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdbrown36 wrote:There is a donation on my account dated 21 Jun 2015 in the amount of $505, This is not mine.
You really will need to work this out with your clerk. Explain that yours was the $260 donation (was it recorded?) and that the $505 belongs to someone else. Remind him that you did not fill out the donation slip. He will have to sort it out from there. Your $260 donation may have been credited to the person who should have received credit for the $505 donation. It might be that the clerk switched the two checks. In any event, he will be able to see all of the donations in that deposit and should be able to correct things.

This is one of the reasons you may wish to look into using the new online Donations at lds.org. The donation will go directly from your bank account to the Church. The bank will no longer have to mail a check to the bishop, and there will be no question about the donation because the clerk will not need to be involved.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdbrown36 wrote:My donations were maid by using the check paying from Zions Bank, therefore the clerk had to make out the donation slip. I think that they must have received an donation from a bank and put the wrong name on the donation slip.
Such is the hazard of that method. By using that system, you're forcing them to fill out the slip. Since the check has been deposited, the slip is the only bit of paperwork left. I believe some wards are turning away "check only" donations because the added burden in the clerks.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:Such is the hazard of that method. By using that system, you're forcing them to fill out the slip. Since the check has been deposited, the slip is the only bit of paperwork left. I believe some wards are turning away "check only" donations because the added burden in the clerks.
When I was stake clerk, I begged the ward clerks to include a donation slip with every check they mailed to the stake. I was tempted to refuse to accept any check if it didn't come with a donation slip. However, no amount of begging fixed that issue.
When the ability to transfer funds between units was added to MLS, things got a little easier. However, since those transfers are only credited to the top-level account, the stake clerk must be aware he has received a funds transfer, and then move it to the appropriate subcategory.
Funny related story: The ward clerk for one of the wards in the stake center once mailed a check to the stake using the street address of the stake center. Surely he should have known that the stake center does not receive mail, since it has no mailbox.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Local Unit Finance”